Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Another look at Normandy lid:)

Article about: by Tom Bennett Hello, Thanks for your reply.It does have plenty of ware and you can see it in the close up of the painted out decal.I know the other digital pics can show it to look too fres

Default Re: Another look at Normandy lid:)

Quote by Tom Bennett View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks for your reply.It does have plenty of ware and you can see it in the close up of the painted out decal.I know the other digital pics can show it to look too fresh but that last batch was taken outside.Sadly the sun decided to disappear and i never had time to wait but i would bet my collection on this one being right. The fact about ware is nearly every collector seems to think they are all battleworn to the point of being almost relic but many were not and they are only in fact 60 years old. I have seen almost mint Helmets from WWI which are much older in excellent shape and even own ground dug items that are as such.Go figure the differance but it is a difficult field we're in when it comes down to it.I am happy that many like my Helmet as i do

Tom
    My pleasure Tom
    If you want to make good pics for having good opinions , you must have good light and , as you said , it sadly wasn't the case
    I must say I don't mind if the helmet is used or close to mint .
    I collect TR helmets for more than 30 years (owned a dozen of WWI too) and only keep VG to minty helmets so I have no problem with them .
    During all these years , I just saw a handful of camo helmets you can call "close to mint" and even those showed a "normal" ageing ! Anyway , like you said , what matters is that you enjoy what you have !

Here are 2 camos I would only call VG for comparison, the double decal indeed being close to mint!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another look at Normandy lid:)   Another look at Normandy lid:)  

Another look at Normandy lid:)   Another look at Normandy lid:)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another look at Normandy lid:)
    P
    Many

Hi ex1969,
    Thankyou for your knid comments.Yeah i have faith in this one too as it has that real been there feel.Also the paint has that hard surface that only age can do.Cheers mate

Tom

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    It's those "critics" that have helped make a case against the majority of fakes being posted here. Not the Harry's or the Mortlocks who jump at any chance to get in a remark against the critics but are remarkably quiet in other helmet topics that require common sense and knowledge.
    I guess some people just cannot accept a differing opinion that's been made clear by this topic.
    Welcome to the controversial world of camo collecting Tom , the second most faked type of TR helmet. SS being on nr 1.

BTW Viewing something with a critical eye is necessary in this hobby.
    Oh dear, Schwerpunkt really does seem to have his knife in me. My remarks were correct and not pointed at anyone. I think it is a fine looking helmet. As I have said before. I will not run down an item I can only see pictures of - unless of course it is an obvious blatant fake. I freely admit to not being that knowledgable about helmets. We all shine in our different sphere's of interest. Schwerpunkt seems to be let down by his aggressive nature towards other users he takes a dislike to. It is possible to be critical without being downright rude.

?

>>It actually has good age and ware to it with heaps of character.You don't get that with repro lids!<<

I beg to differ. See below.

I would be listening to the wise words Francis speaks, note the wear on yours and with all due respect wouldn't be betting the farm on it. I would love to see better photos as has been said, in particular detail of the wear areas.

Cheers
    Doug

Very wise words Doug

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3