Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another luft lid

Article about: Another recent purchace, my question is, does the eagle look like it was removed due to the wartime regulations or was it denazified post war?

Default Another luft lid

Another recent purchace, my question is, does the eagle look like it was removed due to the wartime regulations or was it denazified post war?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another luft lid   Another luft lid  

Another luft lid   Another luft lid  

Another luft lid   Another luft lid  

Another luft lid  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another luft lid
    P
    Many

Default Re: Another luft lid

Crudely de-Nazified, in my opinion. Most German wartime conversions were Much cleaner and presentable.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

4md
    ?

Yep, i agree with Wagriff, usually they would just paint over the decal.
    heres a photo of my reissue decal painted over and the tricolour removed and painted over
    Its a shame someone removed the decal, still not a bad lid
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another luft lid   Another luft lid  

The thing is, there where no orders (that I am aware of) to remove LUFTWAFFE / HEER decals, only the tricolor shields were to be removed.

Having said that, I am confident that this type of thing happened in order improve concealment and what not. It is hard to tell with this helmet, you really need to look at the patina where the decal would have been applied and then compare it with various scratches across the helmet - If they all match, then you can feel more comfortable about when it was removed, though you will never know for sure..

I hope this has helped!

All the best,

Josh

?

I think its been removed post war, reason being the cleaner areas hav'nt developed any dirt nor age patina, if this had been done in period the scratched areas would have looked almost the same as the rest of the helmet

I saw this lid on ebay, and was tempted to go for it.........!

To me it is a 100% period lid with nothing recently
    buggered on it - it appears like it's been in this
    condition for a long time.
    Regards,

Steve.

One can speculate on it being scraped off during the war or post war. Fact is you never truly know. I would say it was de-Nazified at the end or soon after the end of the war. I think a German soldier who removed a decal would have used a bit more care in doing so. This looks like someone took a flathead screwdriver or knife and butchered the decal. Still a 100% original helmet, nonethless.

Thanks for all your comments, your right, it was on ebay, i happened upon it and through out a bid at the last momment because it was so low at the time and was lucky enough to win, as for the decal, i guess i'll never really know.

Either way, post war or by the soldier (which did happen I'm sure) it's a really nice helmet with a heap of character.. I think you done really well and I'd love to have it myself..

I have a helmet with a similarly scraped decal, and yes, you will never know for sure, but that is half the fun of our hobby..

All the best and enjoy your helmet!

Josh