Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist

Article about: Hello Forum. I´m sorry i´m posting another helmet so soon, but i´m always searching for Luftwaffe Helmets, and this one has the potential to become my very first Non-relic helmet. Its an M40

Default Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist

Hello Forum.
    I´m sorry i´m posting another helmet so soon, but i´m always searching for Luftwaffe Helmets, and this one has the potential to become my very first Non-relic helmet.
    Its an M40 Quist, Size 66 and Lotn. 296. The Liner is damaged and seems dried out, there is no chinstrap.
    Two of the Pins share the same paint colour as the helmet, the second one with some paint loss, the third Pin has completly lost its paint.
    The Decal is mostly intact, but shows cracks and light losses. I would say its a Quist Type Decal.

The Seller asks 550 Euros as price, and i would probably try to talk him down a bit, bc of the state of the liner, and the missing chinstrap.
    I´m pretty confident about the helmet, but as that would be the biggest investment to the hobby by me so far, i would like your Opinions.
    I have the helmet reserved till tomorrow, any Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards, Adravor

Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

I don't see any red flags that say "run away". However, I would check the split pins to make sure they look untampered with. Highly inconsistent wear to the rivet heads like this would necessitate very careful scrutiny to ensure they are not some random pieces added to the helmet post-war. And I would definitely see if you could get it a little cheaper. Personally I would hold out and pay a little more for a helmet with a much better liner. However, that is subjective and if you like it and the price is right then there's nothing "wrong" with buying a lesser condition helmet for a lower price. I just say that because the better condition examples tend to appreciate more in value and are easier to sell (despite being more expensive) should you ever need to part with them.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Agree with everything Todd has said. In my opinion only one of the rivets look original to the helmet. Nothing wrong with some paint being worn off or a slightly different colour but no paint and a different texture throws up some red flags for me. I know you really want your first original helmet but remember there are lots of others out there and with a little bit more saving you can get a much better one. Personally, I think the asking price is too much.

Andy

550 is too much for this one , for 700 or 800 you can have a far better one with chinstrap and undamaged liner.
    It is that kind of helmet you should aim for.

Thank you very much for the Opinions!
    I´m trying to bargain the seller a bit down, if not it seems i will pass on this one.
    If anyone has Tipps where i could find a helmet in similar condition for a better price, i would greatly appreciate any help!

Regards,
    Adravor

Now he´s offering me this M40 for 460.
    But i guess that one is also overpriced. The Swastika seems like it has been messed with, and i´m not sure about the liner, but i tend to believe its a replacement?

Regards,
    Adravor

Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist Another Luftwaffe M40 Quist

Don't be afraid to hold out for a better condition one. As someone pointed out, a complete M42 Luft can be had for around $700-800 USD. You'll think yourself later for saving up a bit more to get the one you really want. One will come along for you.

I waited for complete examples for the three examples I own and it was definitely worth the wait.

From the photos provided - i'm not keen on the decal or liner on this last one.
    To me the decal doesn't resemble any known Luft decals - particularly the bottom claw. And it looks like it may have been deliberately scrubbed.
    The liner also looks like it may have been deliberately worn on the rim

I'd be interested in Frank's and others opinion here.

Nick

The last one has a fake swastika , probably a denazified eagle that was 'restored'.