Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another S A Stahlhelm

Article about: by ToxicGas And I wasn't aware that the SA continued as an organisation during the war, I had thought that what was left of it was absorbed into the ranks of the SS. I think most members of

Default Another S A Stahlhelm

In the previous thread about a S A helmet, one member mentioned he did not know the S A wore helmets. On a whole, that is true. However, guard units at
    S A buildings and other civil structures did wear helmets. This early piece was worn by a man named W. Romer of Sturm 12, 123rd Standarte at Boblingen. The helmet is also marked Schlossberg and Amtsgericht. The Schlossberg is a castle that sits on a hill overlooking the City of Boblingen. During the 3rd Reich era, it served as a location for a court, where Romer served. The sturcture still stands and I was informed that today it houses a mental insitution.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S A HELMET 014.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	278946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S A HELMET 009.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	278948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S A HELMET 015.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	278949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S A HELMET 012.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	278950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S A HELMET 013.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	278947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S A HELMET 004.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	278951
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Another S A Stahlhelm

Thanks for posting this, a brilliant looking piece with some interesting history- I'd love to one day own a named helmet to research. Had I stumbled across this for sale last week, I would have surely passed it off as a fantasy piece. I'm constantly learning.

Mat

Interesting... I was under the opinion that all liners with vent holes on the forehead were postwar. You learn something everyday!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Interesting... I was under the opinion that all liners with vent holes on the forehead were postwar. You learn something everyday!
    That is not the case, many commercially produced liners and those in civil and light weight and fibre helmets had perforations. Jim G.

Great helmet Bob! Jim G.

I posted this helmet years ago when I still participated in another site. Immediately, a member of the peanut gallery proclaimed it a post war fake. A couple of the pile on crowd then joined in. Between the three, they had a total of less than 60 posts! When the error of their ways was pointed out to them, they all remained silent. That event was one of the reasons I ceased posting on that site where lack of knowledge rules over knowledge. Study of rarely seen items helps improve all of our knoweldge. For me, this helmet substantiates the existance of these decals long before they were used on the more common SA gladiator form helmets produced mid to late war.
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    For me, this helmet substantiates the existance of these decals long before they were used on the more common SA gladiator form helmets produced mid to late war.
    I thought the SA no longer existed during the war?

Mat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLADIATOR HELMETS 003.jpg 
Views:	1419 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	279029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLADIATOR HELMETS 004.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	279032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLADIATOR HELMETS 001.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	279028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLADIATOR HELMETS 002.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	279030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLADIATOR HELMETS 005.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	279031Hi Mat-
    Although many of the younger members of the SA went in to military service, the older members continued to function as auxillaries to air raid organizations. They also provided pre-induction training through the SA Wehrmannschaft. The SA also provided manpower to many internal and military organizations.
    Attached are pictures of a SA gladiator helmet. I obtained my first example of this helmet in the mid 1960's when one turned up in a shop in Chicago. Another collector told me about it laughing as he thought it was a fake. The laugh was on him!
    BOB

Wow, yet another piece I've never even seen or heard of! And I wasn't aware that the SA continued as an organisation during the war, I had thought that what was left of it was absorbed into the ranks of the SS. Thanks for the clarification Bob!

Mat

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLADIATOR HELMETS 003.jpg 
Views:	1419 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	279029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLADIATOR HELMETS 004.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	279032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLADIATOR HELMETS 001.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	279028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLADIATOR HELMETS 002.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	279030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLADIATOR HELMETS 005.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	279031Hi Mat-
    Although many of the younger members of the SA went in to military service, the older members continued to function as auxillaries to air raid organizations. They also provided pre-induction training through the SA Wehrmannschaft. The SA also provided manpower to many internal and military organizations.
    Attached are pictures of a SA gladiator helmet. I obtained my first example of this helmet in the mid 1960's when one turned up in a shop in Chicago. Another collector told me about it laughing as he thought it was a fake. The laugh was on him!
    Another super example, with the typical clear plastic chinstrap so often seen on the late War one piece gladiator shells. I really like this one as well! Jim G.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast