Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beaded helmet production........ myths & mayhem

Article about: No, I'm NOT reigniting the debate over whether or not these were MEANT to have the bead in or done to identify them as ballistic rejects - everyone has their side of the fence on that one -

Default Beaded helmet production........ myths & mayhem

No, I'm NOT reigniting the debate over whether or not these were MEANT to have the bead in or done to identify them as ballistic rejects - everyone has their side of the fence on that one - but I did want to show ( like my comments on the lot stamping method ) the sort of tools probably used to create the bead.

Beaded helmet production........ myths & mayhem

The above machine is a "bead roller". these are used to roll a stiffening bead or rib or ridge into a piece of sheet metal and are standard equipment for the metal fabricator. Possibly a mechanical version of one of these would have been used to roll the bead into the shells. This is the same way the rolled edge was done on the M35 / M40 models, just with different dies.

Of interest is that the various manufacturers did not have the same machines - or dies. We know this because the beads are different shapes.
    Look at the following ......

Beaded helmet production........ myths & mayhemBeaded helmet production........ myths & mayhemBeaded helmet production........ myths & mayhemBeaded helmet production........ myths & mayhem

Anyway, there you go - another bit of helmet trivia from 'Downunder Dan'

Cheers all!!
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Beaded helmet production........ myths & mayhem
    P
    Many

mpw
    ?

Not something I have really thought about before. Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Regards, Mark.

Quote by Danmark View Post

The above machine is a "bead roller". these are used to roll a stiffening bead or rib or ridge into a piece of sheet metal and are standard equipment for the metal fabricator. Possibly a mechanical version of one of these would have been used to roll the bead into the shells. This is the same way the rolled edge was done on the M35 / M40 models, just with different dies.

Of interest is that the various manufacturers did not have the same machines - or dies. We know this because the beads are different shapes.

- another bit of helmet trivia from 'Downunder Dan'

Cheers all!!
    I'll try to show you "the" original machine asap !

;-)
    K
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Hi Dan

Oh, how I am sorry I missed the debate over the explanation of beaded helmets. Will look for the thread, any idea how long ago it was ?
    Not going to "Kick up the dust"....I just want to read what some of the theories were.
    "When 10 men tell you you're drunk, you better lie down."
    " A relief to see a 'GOOD' helmet here"

Nice topic Dan , so from your experience how much 'extra' work would there be involved to add this bead ?

3 minutes!
    ;-)
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Quote by real steel View Post
    Hi Dan

Oh, how I am sorry I missed the debate over the explanation of beaded helmets. Will look for the thread, any idea how long ago it was ?
    Not going to "Kick up the dust"....I just want to read what some of the theories were.
    This that thread David - started by ....gulp....me!!!

Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Nice topic Dan , so from your experience how much 'extra' work would there be involved to add this bead ?
    Hi Frank,

Well it would be amongst the slowest of the steps I guess as it had to be done one at a time and certainly would disrupt the "Ford-like" production lines the factories had in place. But in that oft referenced You tube movie on helmet production ( where you see them rolling the edge bead / folding it with a hammer )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baMmJyqQy90 ( 0:57 to 1:05 ) it could keep pace with the others if you had enough rolling machines.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    This that thread David - started by ....gulp....me!!!

Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??
    What do you mean by "Gulp" ? I found it informative, interesting, logical & will read the entire thread again at a later date. I thought your explanations were a bit difficult to comprehend, but sounds like you know about the process.

I myself think they were just purposedly produced from a cheaper grade of steel for civil use, the bead was the identification of such, hence the civic style liners & weak cheap chinstraps
    "When 10 men tell you you're drunk, you better lie down."
    " A relief to see a 'GOOD' helmet here"

Well done Dan, another informative thread on possible production methods. Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast