Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Black painted helmets

Article about: Was there ever any black painted helmets from the TR era? I seem to recall pictures of SS troops wearing such items, LAH, on parade, but these may have been WW1 retreads.

OKW
    ?

Default Black painted helmets

Was there ever any black painted helmets from the TR era?
    I seem to recall pictures of SS troops wearing such items, LAH, on parade, but these may have been WW1 retreads.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Black painted helmets

Black M35's as worn by the LAH etc are fine.

Cheers, Ade.

And if you ever find a real one........you're sitting on a goldmine

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    And if you ever find a real one........you're sitting on a goldmine
    thats true john never even seen a real one for sale, love the new colourfull avatar

Ewan is right, I've never seen a real one other than in old ww2 news reels. Here in the states you see fakes with uniforms all the time at gun & knife shows.

Ade, to your knowledge were there any other branches that used a black helmet without a decal?

The reason why i ask is the 2nd helmet i ever bought 30 years ago is a m40 that is black with no trace of any other paint underneath. The paint inside and out is original to the helmet complete with the liner. I have often wondered about this helmets origin.

Is it probable that it was used in a foreign country? The liner is not Norwegian. An m31 liner that too is original to the helmet. My guess is that it is was foreign issued but by who?

I will post pictures this weekend. Daylight savings time does not allow me to take pictures with adequate light as i am at work for proper photographing.

rgds, Ty

OKW
    ?

Would they be painted black as the first coat at the factory or be normal finish oversprayed?

Hi Ty, I strongly suspect your helmet will be a Czech fire brigade post war refurbishment. These were stripped back and then repainted.

Hi OKW, these SS helmets were repaints over the top pf the feldgrau paint.

Cheers, Ade.

OKW
    ?

Thanks

I have a black M40 SD LW, the black coat war time field/brush applied for flak units. I think there might be black heer helmets for flak units as well but I am not sure. A great many WWII kraut pots were post war depot repainted black by the Czechs, and these often show up on ebay, with Czech civic 4 tongue liners or as shells only. Of couse, there are black DD SS transitional helmets, (M16's, M18's, M18 Ear Cut Outs, Droop Bills, and RZM's (with or without decals)) and black DD SS m35's. The black SS helmets are rare and often faked, so be careful.