Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Blatant fake for sale to the gullible

Article about: Harry the Mole makes a good point, there are plenty of currently serving British squaddies who've been stationed in Germany for a time, he could very well have been one of those, with an int

CMc
    ?

Default Re: Blatant fake for sale to the gullible

Harry the Mole makes a good point, there are plenty of currently serving British squaddies who've been stationed in Germany for a time, he could very well have been one of those, with an interest in military history but at that point no eye for fake militaria, who bought it in good faith at an antique shop somewhere.

The fact that he did mention it's a reproduction later on the page might mean he's not been aware of this until someone who knew it was a fake told him so.

For one thing, I'd have thought a cynical git who was out to con people wouldn't have responded to remarks that it was a fake by conceeding this point, most online conmen I've ever come accross (including some used car dealers who made Arthur Daley look saintly!) respond to query or criticism with a vicious tirade at the person asking the questions, starting with the concept that they don't know what they're on about and sometimes even ending with allegations about the immorality of their mother etc.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Blatant fake for sale to the gullible
    P
    Many

Already has been removed off eBay.

Brian

I dont class evryone on ebay con men as iv bought lovely genuine items on ebay.first ly isnt it illegal to have nazi signs on something which is being sold in germany.even though he has now amended it to a repro,he still apparently tried to con people and it should be pointed out as this info might filter down to a potential purchaser and felloW collector, and save them from being stung.

Cmc the average squaddie is no mug and would have seen it was to new looking .not something that was supposed to have been through a war and 70years old.he knows the way his kit gets worn and aged after a few years hard use.i will call a spade a spade in this case ,he tried to con a fellow collector out of big money ,now hes simply backtracking.

Harry the mole he shrewdly left it ambiguous saying he purchased it in germany and he was in the army ,leaving the clear impression it could have been purcheased by a vet of ww2 and was of ww2 origin.he clearly tried to decieve .my fellow collectors interests come first when asked to part with money.too many collectors have lost money with people like this.

If he was fighting during the Second World War, why would he bother purchasing a helmet when he could have easily picked one up or taken one off a German POW? My bet is that a soldier brought it back after being based in Germany.

Thanks

Danny
    Last edited by GasMasksUK; 05-27-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Its a very dangerous step to accuse someone of deceit without any proof of intention. I stand by what I said in my other posting on the matter. I saw nothing in the advert that was misleading. And it has already been said, he did state that he had since been told it was a repro. There is nothing wrong in exposing con-merchants. But you cannot go around accusing everyone of being one just because you don't like the adverts.
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 05-27-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Harry on the strengh of the original add on ebay i was fully justified in bringing it to the attention of collectors ,and in particular ones without exsperience.it was clearly misleading and i acuse him firmly of misleading the buying public.if he amended it later on thats another story.its right that we try and protect other collectors from con men.,whoever they are of from whatever background.im asuming you dont disagree with what iv said ,how could you anyway if youyve got your fellow collectors interests at heart?

I don't wish to get dragged into stupid arguments. But the seller said he purchased it in Berlin when serving in the army, I don't recall anything saying 'genuine' or 'not sure if it's genuine' and the many other phrases that people use to con others. If he WAS in the army (BAOR) and he DID buy it in Berlin he is telling the truth. You have to get away from the concept that everyone is trying to con others.

The true con-merchants can usually be picked out from those who genuinely know nothing about militaria. I have a friend who has been collecting for many years, and he really knows his stuff about knives and bayonets. But show him a helmet and he is clueless. He recently purchased a 'genuine' SS M35 helmet, which was in fact a poorly made post-war police helmet. Inside was crudely scratched... 12TH SS Panzer division Das Reich. He paid £80 for it and was convinced it was genuine. Not everyone is a keen collector, but they may see a helmet and like it and buy it. To them it is probably real, to someone else it will be junk. You really do have to be careful about splashing accusations about.

This seems to be a desease that affects many of these websites. People get carried away with themselves and start to do and say all kinds of stupid things simply because they cannot see the person their comments are directed at. A little more thought should be given before jumping in with all guns blazing. Sometimes the concequences of these comments can be very damaging to a persons integrity.

Harry

ian
    ?

i agree entirely with harry on this one ,,, well said harry , some people are not collectors and dont have the collectors mentality ,, he just wants to sell it ,any way its bin removed now through his own nievety ,i personaly did not believe he had or has any intention to decieve ,he just wants to sell some thing ,a man who sets out to decieve would never have treied it with this helmet any way ,i believe he has no idea what it is ?? good or bad he just wants to sell it ,and at £35 before it was removed , i would say where is the con , no there was no con . i think concentrate on the profecional con men and leave the nieve alone
    cheers ian
    allso it was so obviously wrong ,that collectors did not realy nead to be warned , i think a bit of look how conserned I AM has crept in here even young new starters would not have bin taken by this one , i would have it for my bar cos i wouldnt care if it got damaged , just remember there is a market for all and for every thing
    OH i should point out ,,,, good that it was brought to the attension of collectors/// bad that so much fuss has bin made of nothing
    cheers again ian
    Last edited by ian; 05-28-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast