Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bought WWII German helmet - help me ID

Article about: I just bought (today) a WWII german helmet, literally from the basement of an old lady's house. I have just researched online and think it is a M1940 it is stamped NS62 on left under brim an

ryan
    ?

Default Bought WWII German helmet - help me ID

I just bought (today) a WWII german helmet, literally from the basement of an old lady's house.

I have just researched online and think it is a M1940 it is stamped NS62 on left under brim and D191 on brim under back. Liner but no chin strap. My wife and I both think the decal looks gold not silver /white.

It is single decal and has a shrapnel piercing in top. The woman said her father wouldn't have had it without the shrapnel damage (ie the soldier would still had the helmet). Her father was with the Cnaadian forces and it has been in her family's possession since the end of the war.

Any help is appreciated....I paid $80 Cdn
    email me ryanmackulin@hotmail.com

2. # ADS

Default Re: Bought WWII German helmet - help me ID

Hi Ryan,

I'm just a novice around here, but I can tell you for certain that the helmet is a '40 model, and if the color of the decal is indeed yelow/golden, then the helmet is Kriegsmarine, which was the navy branch of the Wehrmacht.

Don't you worry, pretty soon you will receive a more adequate answer.

appie
    ?

Looks very much Ok to me, and a good price too. Looks like someone put some varnish on it at some point.

ryan
    ?

Thanks Nifartachi...my wife and I uses a magnifying glass and it looks gold, even gold flaky...how can I prove it is Kriegsmarine?

any idea on value?

Ryan

ryan
    ?

Thanks appie...

it does have that 'laquer' look and I am wondering if that is what if giving the decal the gold look..

The only thing is when you look at it with a magnified glass it looks very gold-like.

Cheers Ryan

?

I am certain it is a mdl.40 Army ( Heer ) friend. I believe the damage is an explosion fracture . The helmet appears to have been painted with a varnish or shellac. That is the reason for the golden glow. I have seen quite a few helmets painted like this All the vets I have ever talked to that did this said they did it to keep it from rusting.
    Not bad for your first German lid.

ryan
    ?

Thanks SteveR...

I am excited, this adds to a WWII collection I have started from my grandfather who served on the USS Hornet and USS Shangri-La...

Does the shellac affect the value? Any idea on the value?

Ryan

Quote by appie View Post
    Looks like someone put some varnish on it at some point.
    A very nice toned Heer for sure, no doubts on that one, due to the varnish that has been applied.

I can't say for sure which decal it is, but it has some characteristics of the "grey lined" decal, although better pictures in daylight without flash might help

May i also suggest that you DO NOT try and remove the varnish, even with acetone you'll be sure to damage the decal

nice helmet, if you'll excuse the pun

?

I would suggest to keep the helmet as is. If you going to sell this example, you can place it in our for sale section. The varnish sometime can not be removed with acetone, due of different basement which cannot be dissolved with any of the dissolvers, there a work for professional restorer.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Dimas View Post
    IThe varnish sometime can not be removed with acetone, due of different basement which cannot be dissolved with any of the dissolvers, there a work for professional restorer.
    I can not agree more on that comment!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast