Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due Diligence

Article about: Good evening to all, I've been meaning to do this for some time. When I say this, I actually referring to two very simple, long held desires. - Join a quality, respected and authoritative mi

Talking Brand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due Diligence

Good evening to all,

I've been meaning to do this for some time. When I say this, I actually referring to two very simple, long held desires.

- Join a quality, respected and authoritative militaria forum
    - Find some answers to the mysteries of an M40 of which I am the current custodian

As you can see, I've finally ticked off one. Hussar to that!

This just leaves me the more trickier task of throwing myself (or the at least the helmet) on the mercy of the court and asking far more wizened people than I, their opinions on the item.

I bought it a while back as a heavily sceptical amateur enthusiast more at home with antique furniture (can't beat a good cabriole leg!) than militaria. It was one of my first purchases in a market more fraught and flooded with mis-information than Putin's manifesto! Well, the years roll by and I'm still sceptical (I find it's safer that way) but now very much into collecting anything and everything, which I'm sure will annoy the purists amongst you.

Anyhow, on with the show. The attached photos are pretty much the best quality I could muster and I've tried to show the patina of age and wear to it's fullest to give the experts out there the best chance to evaluate the piece in good faith. The questions I have are the simple ones:

- What exactly is it?
    - If it's not SS, what could it be?
    - Is there anything from the identifying markers to give it any provenance/origin?
    - Approximate market value?

To help by giving some context, the sizing is about a 57-58cm and as you can see from the picture of the liner, the leather is a little brittle. If we were judging it by the smell, I'd say the liner seen had seen some action somewhere as it hums to high heaven! The paint, from what's left, is a mix of brown and grey I think although it's hard to tell.

The stamp to the rear is three digits (I'm looking but can't see a prefix or suffix) and there is a stamp on the left hand inside rim of what looks like C4?? There also seems to be a name written around the rear inner rim of the helmet in red paint 'Becker Jos.'.

There is only a single decal on the right hand side with what looks like faded 'SS' sigils. It's been heavily worn away so I've done my best to capture the best image I can.

Aside from this, there's not a lot more to say. The top is carrying a few dents where I'm sure the original owner has dumped it on the deck repeatedly!

Anyway, it is what it is. Please don't be shy in expressing whatever opinions or thoughts you may have, I'm not precious and this will all be valuable learning for me to take away. Not sure if I'll keep it. I may just pass it on to the next lucky custodian!!!

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this. I look forward to making some good friends through this forum and posting many more things I've bought in a rush of blood to head which I'm sure I'll need further help with!

Over to you guys!

Cheers

Greg

Brand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due DiligenceBrand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due DiligenceBrand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due DiligenceBrand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due DiligenceBrand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due DiligenceBrand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due DiligenceBrand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due DiligenceBrand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due Diligence[ATTACH=CONFIG]1035583
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due Diligence  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Brand new member - same old problem - M40 SS Single Decal Due Diligence
    P
    Many

Greg, welcome to in my opinion the best and Friendliest militaria forum. I am not a SS helmet expert the one that are will be along soon. Again welcome,
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

First, welcome to the forum.

Second. The liner in this helmet is incorrect. It is a single band aluminum liner with square that were installed in earlier M35's. And we can go down a rabbits hole from there? But generally having an earlier liner in a later shell is a bad sign.

Third: The helmet has been scrubbed and a layer of some type of varnish or wax put on it.

Fourth. Not much info I can provide on the SS runes. Do you know the maker? There should be an ET, Q, EF (or hopefully not but maybe an SE or NS) before the size which looks to be 64 (the "C" is a "6"). The decal appears to be either a Quist or Pocher style (But my eyes are not the best). Like the helmet it is heavily scrubbed and if my not so great eyes are correct, it looks like they were painted around or liberated. But really I can't see much and not much that I can say. All the areas you would like to see for identification are gone. Typically that is a warning sign.

So those are my less than "expert" views. Others with more decal experience should be around to correct me or agree with me.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The helmet seems in reasonably good condition which makes me a bit wary why the decal is in such a bad state... I'm a complete amateur though so I could be talking rubbish!

Hi Marty,

Well met sir! Much obliged for the warm welcome. It seems my education begins here!

Feels good to be associated with some very dedicated but personable collectors.

Move fast, stay low.

KR

Greg

Thanks Michael.

Good observations and I'll take all the info I can.

I know next to nothing about these lids (makes me wonder why I stepped right in there like a complete wetneck novice) so I've learned something already. Like the sizing for a start! I'll take a closer look at the surround metal and see if other lights bring forth any clearer detail.

As for the exterior, you're right it is unusual. Like a preserving lacquer has been applied to give it a slight sheen. Would that have been done later to preserve what's left of the paint??

The decal is odd. Would it be completely weird if I said it had a kind of metallically finish? It may just be the lacquer but it does seem a little silvery. May be my eyes, I'm not sure.

Older liner band is also interesting. I'm scared to pull it about in case I completely wreck it but it should be easy enough to detach for a closer look.

At least I didn't pay monkey bundles for it anyhow! Haha.

Great response already. Thanks chaps.

G

Well raise my rent!!

I've just switched a big light on and got the loop out. I can make out an 'F' in front of the 64.

What does this mean?? Excited but I obviously need more info.

Thanks to Michael for making me look harder.

Cheers,

G

MAP
    ?

Do NOT pull the liner band out. Ever!

Look at post # 2 in this thread. The last two photos. You can see the split pins. They are nice and flat. Look at yours and see if the have been rebent or are flat.

Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890

Also look at this post. You can see what the maker stamp should look like. The 11th photo in post #1. In this case it is an ET64

M35 ET64 DD Heer - Beauty

As to the varnish on your helmet, it was not uncommon (although it is unfortunate) for Vets to add a varnish to their trophy to "preserve" it. But in this case, IMHO, given the condition of the helmet, the varnish was added at a much later date and not by a vet. This is what a Vet "varnished" helmet would look like.

I inherited a NS62 German Helmet - Can anyone tell me what I have?

The journey begins with the first step. A few pointers if you are serious about collecting helmets. Like any TR items, they are a minefield and heavily faked

1) Start with simple helmets. SS, camo, wire helmets should be tackled well down the road.
    2) Study some of the sticky threads as well as other helmet postings to learn. It is a long process
    3) Buy some good books. I highly recommend both of Ken Niewiarowicz's books. ("Germany's Combat Helmets 1933-1945" and his new book "Helmet Decals of the Third Reich"). They are different and serve different purposes. But remember, no books are perfect and they are a point in time. Forums such as here will have access to the most up to date information
    4) Never buy until you post the helmet here and get it vetted. There are millions of helmets, so don't feel pressured to "buy it now".

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by gmlmustang View Post
    Well raise my rent!!

I've just switched a big light on and got the loop out. I can make out an 'F' in front of the 64.

What does this mean?? Excited but I obviously need more info.

Thanks to Michael for making me look harder.

Cheers,

G
    OK, it is an EF 64. EF stands for Emaillierwerke A.G., Fulda

EF helmets should have a Pocher or EF (similar to a Pocher) decal.

I will leave it to others to see if they can opine on the decal. I can't.

That is not normal wear on the decal. Definitely someone has tried to age the decal but did a horrible job. Welcome aboard our Forum.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast