Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Camo LW M42 ?

Article about: I acquired this 'Normandy camo' M42 some 20 years ago, and have posted it on another forum, as well as showing it to several dealers. Generally the paint finish has received the thumbs down,

Default Camo LW M42 ?

I acquired this 'Normandy camo' M42 some 20 years ago, and have posted it on another forum, as well as showing it to several dealers. Generally the paint finish has received the thumbs down, although I've no doubt that the helmet, liner and strap are original.
    A couple of dealers have also thought the paint to be original.
    The odd thing is that some time in the past somebody appears to have scoured the camo paint from inside the rim, although the over painting remains on the liner.
    Any opinions welcome. Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?
    Last edited by cvrwdvr; 11-02-2019 at 02:23 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Camo LW M42 ?
    P
    Many

Can you see the maker stamp on the side or above the lot number ?
    It's hard to make something of the interior paint without seeing a full liner shot. The paint color on the inside looks fresh and not what one expects.
    The liner is Original and the chinstrap as well (and shell) but I don't hold much hope for rest. Looks post war repainted from what I see so far.

There's no maker stamp on the side skirt, but I think that there is the feint impression of an imprint just above the lot number, and just about visible on the bottom photo. It's impossible to make it out.
    The liner is stamped internally with '60', presumably the size, and, 'A39 ? ? 44', which could relate to year of manufacture.
    The hand written figure '58' on the liner appears to be in biro, although I could be wrong, and also appears to contradict the interior stamp, '60'.
    If the helmet has been repainted post-war, I wonder if that coincides with the hand written '58', and whether it might have been used by a foreign army or the Bundesgrenzschutz.
    I'll post some more photos when the rain finally stops !

No patina to the paint and those awful sanding scratches.

Not worth bothering with.

Andy

Here's a few more pics, perhaps in better light conditions.Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?

MAP
    ?

Can you post a photo of the rear stamps. Even if they are faint. The maker / size should be above the lot number.

This will tell us if it is a no decal helmet or if it should have had a decal.

Also, do the split pins appear to have been rebent? And do the have washers?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Still not liking the paint - appears to be lacking in patina to me. The wear around the vent looks forced and contrived. The interior of the dome appears to have been sanded or scrubbed with an abrasive.

Andy

Hi,
    I, ve attached a couple of pics of the barely discernible marking above the lot number. Although if you can make it out you're better than me!
    Regarding the cotter pins: they are all fitted with washers, but my take is that they have at least been refitted at some stage, in fact one appears to be in brass, whilst the other two are steel.
    The liner appears to have been present in the helmet when it was painted green, as there is the same colour green residue around the edge of the liner, and visible in some of the pics.
    As stated previously, my impression is that, for whatever reason, somebody in the past has scoured the interior of the rim to remove the green paint.
    There is some indication of very superficial scouring to the interior of the crown, but generally the paint there is LW blue grey in VGC.
    I've owned this helmet for some 20 yrs, and have been told that in the past camo helmets were not sought after, and that sometimes collectors used to try and remove the camo paint. I don't know if that's true, or even whether this is a genuine camo helmet, but it could be an attempt to remove the camo paint on the interior, before deciding that the finish was unsatisfactory and not proceeding with the exterior.
    At the end of the day I paid £150 for the helmet, and at the very least have a good condition liner and chinstrap !Camo LW M42 ?Camo LW M42 ?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Can you see the maker stamp on the side or above the lot number ?
    It's hard to make something of the interior paint without seeing a full liner shot. The paint color on the inside looks fresh and not what one expects.
    The liner is Original and the chinstrap as well (and shell) but I don't hold much hope for rest. Looks post war repainted from what I see so far.
    Seeing the new photos I stand by my assessment. Base LW paint is not correct in my opinion and the camo is for sure not period WW2.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Seeing the new photos I stand by my assessment. Base LW paint is not correct in my opinion and the camo is for sure not period WW2.
    OK, your opinion is welcomed, but other than patina, is there any other reason for supposing that the paint, especially the base blue/ grey is not original ?

Assuming that it's not original, any opinions as to whether it was repainted post war for further military use by a foreign army; re-enactment or simply as a fake camo helmet ?

The hand written size marking on the liner makes me wonder whether it was re-issued post war.

Secondly, supposing that the paintwork is not original, what to do with the helmet ?

I know that this is highly subjective, but should I break it into its component parts and sell them individually: liner, chin strap and shell ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast