Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Chinstrap type on beat up m40?

Article about: So... this is not a helmet that I'd normally consider given the condition of the liner/overall condition. But, seeing as I'm naturally more inclined to favor helmets found up here in Norway

Default Chinstrap type on beat up m40?

So... this is not a helmet that I'd normally consider given the condition of the liner/overall condition. But, seeing as I'm naturally more inclined to favor helmets found up here in Norway and incl. the fact that it's seemingly got a rough gray overpaint with clear traces of whitewash plus a very low price I might be willing to give this one a go after all.

What I'm most curious about, though, is the chinstrap which looks slightly odd to me... would this be the Norwegian type or what? The photos are not all that but I'm hoping to have someone help me out clear up whether or not the strap's actually period German. At the very least it looks to have been on there "forever"... period field replacement?

Chinstrap type on beat up m40?Chinstrap type on beat up m40?
    Chinstrap type on beat up m40?Chinstrap type on beat up m40?
    Chinstrap type on beat up m40?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chinstrap type on beat up m40?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Chinstrap type on beat up m40?

Something very funky is happening with that liner. The strap is I think not German. The buckle end is huge! How cheap is cheap? I would take a punt for less than $100 probably as the exterior paint has a bit of promise for overpainted grey over winter camo.

Yeah, looks like it has dried up, fallen out and then been put back in in... rotated and everything. Cheap is about what you said you'd give, I'm kind of considering this one as a shell without liner. The strap does look strange, but the wear seems consitent with the rest... it's far from anything special, of course --- I just thought the exterior looked interesting with the grey overpaint and winter camo remains.

The liner seam looks to be sliced and moved over to the right ear chin strap bale. Unusual. The buckle part might be stretched, though that would be a long stretch. Maybe two pieces combined?

Thanks for the reply! I don't really know what to make of it... do the components that make up the chinstrap, disregarding the length for now, look German though?

Any other opinions on this random old beater and its tattered leather parts? Just about to make up my mind and any further input/opinion would be appreciated.