Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chinstraps - a matter of supply and demand

Article about: I never buy helmets missing components. But if I did happen to own a helmet missing a chinstrap, I would certainly buy an original strap that matched the condition of the helmet. Even though

Default Chinstraps - a matter of supply and demand

Hey guys,
    Like me I would guess that many helmet owners are in need of original chinstraps to make their lids complete? ...... but they are so thin on the ground and when you DO find one, the price can be up to $150 or more ( which is a helluva lot of the hard earned for what you get ) ..... yes, I know it's just supply vs demand but stocks WILL run out or get so rare that soon $200 && over will be the asking price.

What are we to do?? The "old stock" straps that occasionally surface ( I have a couple ) have divided opinions as to legitimacy or not and even if good are too new looking for the average helmet.

I wanted to grab a couple of decent copies from EBay but they went over $50 ( I was sniped anyway )
    and several listed as originals were ended early ( guess someone made the seller a nice offer to shut the auction down ) Even the eastern european fakes ( I don't want to dis any particular country ) are commanding good prices ........!!!!

It is a question with no real answer but I needed to mention it to see if others are thinking the same....

Dan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chinstraps - a matter of supply and demand
    P
    Many

Default Re: Chinstraps - a matter of supply and demand

It is getting out of hand with prices and I am actually getting to the point where I don't worry about adding a strap if the helmet is lacking a strap. in a sense if you add a strap it not original to that helmet so you have in essence changed the helmet. Not a permanent change but change none the less. That's me being devils advocate. I think it is up to the individual helmet owners to decide whethe or not to add a strap. I can spend $150 on other things and be happy with a strapless lid. Id be interested to see if any of the "advanced" helmet collectors such as DougB even worry about a helmet having or not having a strap. I think it's all just personal preference.

Edit: in addition, prices in the hundreds for chin straps could lead, if it has not already done so, to people disassembling very good original and collectible helmets in order to make the big bucks on the individual components. I wouldn't be surprised if this is already happening. Helmet chop shops, so to speak.

Last year, I saw a handful of original chinstraps that a dealer had on his table.
    He wanted $150 to $250 each, and they were in very poor condition.

I think a lot of this stuff is way overpriced these days anyway, and I can't see
    spending a huge amount on an accessory item. I have only one original
    leather chinstrap - the other three or four are $20 European repros
    which suit me just fine.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks guys, good to know it's not only me fed up then? There are even people on Ebay selling the metal parts to "fix" straps or repo ones...... such is the demand I guess? My personal gripe is why cant the repo makers leave off spurious maker maks rather than spoil things by attempting to replicate a maker stamp - I'd rather them plain anyway.
    Dan

Edit: in addition, prices in the hundreds for chin straps could lead, if it has not already done so, to people disassembling very good original and collectible helmets in order to make the big bucks on the individual components. I wouldn't be surprised if this is already happening. Helmet chop shops, so to speak.[/QUOTE] I have seen this done on ebay before..If i see a helmet 4 sale i usually see what else they have for sale just to get an idea of the seller, i have looked at "shells" only to find the seller is also selling original liner and chinstrap to suit, obviously maximising there $ return and putting youin a position that you have to bid on all 3 items.... Sorry original Quote from Helmetone.

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Edit: in addition, prices in the hundreds for chin straps could lead, if it has not already done so, to people disassembling very good original and collectible helmets in order to make the big bucks on the individual components. I wouldn't be surprised if this is already happening. Helmet chop shops, so to speak.
    I have seen this done on ebay before..If i see a helmet 4 sale i usually see what else they have for sale just to get an idea of the seller, i have looked at "shells" only to find the seller is also selling original liner and chinstrap to suit, obviously maximising there $ return and putting youin a position that you have to bid on all 3 items.... Sorry original Quote from Helmetone.[/QUOTE]

Ya know, I think I have seen that, too! I couldn't do that. I might try to help a helmet, but I can't hurt a helmet. The power of the almighty dollar.

Hey I just swap the original ones I have around for head displays, I did even cut up some bits of leather and texa'd them black for a gap filler

To me I think it's fine to have a helmet without a chinstrap. If they don't have one when I pick them up then that's how they stay. I only have one lid that actually has a real one! The prices are insane for a real strap but I agree even the repros are getting expensive.

I have seen some parting out before on eBay, the wrong thing to do in my opinion but the all might dollar is king to no collectors.

Jason

I never had this kind of problem at least 90% of the helmets I have purchased in 17 years had original straps.
    I do pick-up the odd spare strap now and then , always used ones.

Fake straps look like shit on a helmet , better no strap then.

?

A helmet comes without a strap it stays that way for me. I've added 1 strap it didn't look right so I removed it. I just leave them as is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast