Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet

Article about: Hi All, Here is a medium weight M34 Edelstahl helmet, refitted and reissued for combat use. I am sure it saw combat because there is battle damage to the apron over the wearer's right ear. I

Default Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet

Hi All, Here is a medium weight M34 Edelstahl helmet, refitted and reissued for combat use. I am sure it saw combat because there is battle damage to the apron over the wearer's right ear. It was originally pea green. Some of the original paint is visible in the chips and scratches to the thick green combat overpaint. Unfortunately, I can't detect any decals under the paint. In its first life this helmet had a civic liner affixed to the shell with 4 pins. When the shell was refitted the armorer installed a zinc coated steel banded M31 liner, attached to the shell with 3 split pins. Interestingly enough, rather than simply drill 2 holes through the thin steel liner band, the armorer chose to drill a 5th hole in the rear of the shell, which it seems to me would have taken far more effort. The liner has a name scratched into the leather, and a different name is scratched into the apron at the back of the shell. The liner is sweat stained, dark, and damaged, and the chinstrap has been lost to time, but overall it is a neat odd ball combat piece. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet   Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet  

Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet   Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet  

Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet   Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet  

Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Combat Worn Medium Weight M34 Edelstahl Helmet

Very interesting helmet Jim.
    I also like the odd ball lids

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Nice and interesting one mate. The first Medium '34 I've seen in a combat rig like this. I agree on the liner, it would surely have been much easier to drill holes in the band; easier to work with too.

Then again he might have had a stack of these in front of him waiting to be done, and the prospect of removing the inner bands from x number of liners, drilling 2 holes and replacing the bands might had led him to his decision.

?

I like this oddball lid, and agree it looks to have had some combat wear.
    The fitting of the liner in this manner is interesting.

Brad.

Very interesting indeed, i like the odd ball. I agree the liner installation is done the harder way but it must have been for a reason. The 5th hole might be there so M31 liners could be changed easily in the future in the field. Either way first time I have seen this setup but I like it. Well done

Jason

?

Helmets of this type are mostly found in the city of Amhem used by Heer troops not sure of the reason.

Edelstahl? Are you sure?

Quote by DerStuermer View Post
    Edelstahl? Are you sure?
    The inner skirt was painted with the thick combat paint, so any stamps can't be seen, but the shell is very heavy steel and the same shape and weight as an edelstahl stamped bulge vented M34 I have.

Is it magnethic?

Edelstahl has a few meanings; 'stainless steel' often, but in this context I think 'best quality steel' is a better translation.