Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???

Article about: All 3 helmets are FANTASTIC!!!

Default Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???

Hi Pics of some Helmets and Ostfront relics I just have just received. They are from Narva.

I made a post in relics and arch. section on these items, but maybe the wrong section to ask these questions, so will ask them here.

Is the M42 helmet in this picture, the "green" colored one with 2 holes, that has to me what looks like, a sand and paint mix, considered a "Camo" helmet by collectors or experts??

Does the damage to that helmet appear to be battle damage, or just rust or corrosion??
    The smaller hole looks to be indented a small amount, not much, but is present, but there is no exit hole on the other side. Maybe a hit that was not powerful enough to penetrate the other side??

What is the significance, if any, about the difference in color from the other "feildgrau" ?? grey M42, Unit, or personal preferences maybe?

The SSh39 is absolutely battle damage in my opinion.

I wanted a nice Soviet & German Ostfront battle field relic helmet to display with my weapon and grenade collection, and think I found some very, very nice ones. Great look to them.
    I was going to resell one of the M42 helmets, but after seeing and handling them, I want to keep both now. 2 different examples of paint work, and the 3 helmets look good together. All the relics were a fair deal, and these are some of my very favorite items, especially the German "Beer" ? bottle. I will find a Russian vodka or beer bottle to go with these items sometime.

I will not touch anything, except I did a small repair to the Stalingrad medal that I show in the other post in Relics section.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and thoughts.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???   Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???  

Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???   Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???  

Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???
    P
    Many

Default Re: Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???

Hi Steve, yes the helmet in question would be considered a "camo". Really this was down to the change in seasons and unit/personal preferences.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Many helmets from the Narva area have a distinct green colour of camo paint ( Mummaraase green ) which is used to place them as coming from Narva.

The Russian lid looks like it's took a heavy strike to the crown which could be wartime but could be from a plough or from the digging and some shrapnel damage.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Steve, yes the helmet in question would be considered a "camo". Really this was down to the change in seasons and unit/personal preferences.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade, thanks for info. When I speak of my helmet then, what is the correct terminology? "sand camo" or??

Steve

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Many helmets from the Narva area have a distinct green colour of camo paint ( Mummaraase green ) which is used to place them as coming from Narva.

The Russian lid looks like it's took a heavy strike to the crown which could be wartime but could be from a plough or from the digging and some shrapnel damage.
    Hi Paul, good info, yes maybe a plow. I will see if Nikolay can tell me where it was found. Maybe in an area where no plows could be used. Not familiar with the topography in Estonia though. I like it even if a plow hit it.

This green shade Mummaraase, is this a specific color only used there? I seem to have seen the shade before. What did they do just mix sand from the area, or sand in bags and mix it on site with buckets of paint.
    Obviously brushed on as it would not work to good in an airgun. As I look carefully, it looks like it was brushed around the decal. Why not paint over the decal like many others I have seen, I thought around 42-43 they ordered the decals to be removed or??

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve,
    Nice collection of relic Helmet's you have there.I love the look of them all and i have had many myself but not quite that good
    In my opinion they would have mixed whatever sand they could find in the field (Russia is famous for sandy soil) and possibly painted one coat and sprinkled the sand over while wet.Then before it dried they probably applied another thin coat or simply brushed it again to absorb the sand into paint.
    Nice collection

Tom

?

I would say that is not a "Mummaraase green" it's a traces from non professional cleaning with Oxalic acid.
    The Mummassaare green color is the same as used in Western front for Luftwaffe field divisions, but in that case is a Nederland type paint in that area
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Sorry Steve i wasn't saying that your lid is the known Mummaraase green colour from Narva , just pointing out that that a lot of those recovered from that area are quite a distinctive colour green.

Many helmets from the Narva still have decals on, the frontkampfer i don't think always followed administrative orders like that and did there own thing.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Here's a link to some of my relics all from Narva , one of the White Camos has similar damage to your Russian lid.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...-estonia-2119/

1st July 1916

?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    I would say that is not a "Mummaraase green" it's a traces from non professional cleaning with Oxalic acid.
    The Mummassaare green color is the same as used in Western front for Luftwaffe field divisions, but in that case is a Nederland type paint in that area
    Could anyone post a picture of a helmet with the Mummarasse green?? i Would it be this green??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???   Is This Considered a Camo Helmet???  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast