Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Considering purchasing, is this an authentic stahlhelm?

Article about: I am considering purchasing this helmet, but am wondering whether it is a completely authentic german stahlhelm, as the seller claims. It is a Quist m40 helmet, with the size stamping on the

?

Default Considering purchasing, is this an authentic stahlhelm?

I am considering purchasing this helmet, but am wondering whether it is a completely authentic german stahlhelm, as the seller claims. It is a Quist m40 helmet, with the size stamping on the back of the brim, and batch number on the side. I read somewhere that it was first after 1943 that Quist started stamping the size of the helmet on the back, but the batch number was also stamped on the back right above the size. On this the size and batch number are two different places, is this a source of concern?
    In addition, the name of the owner is etched in the helmet, not painted on as one can see on many other helmets.

Are the rust pits (there are not very many, but certainly some) a sign that it has been laying in the ground for a number of years, and later repainted?

Would be very grateful for any thoughts on the matter!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Considering purchasing, is this an authentic stahlhelm?   Considering purchasing, is this an authentic stahlhelm?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Considering purchasing, is this an authentic stahlhelm?
    P
    Many

Hi, you say the size stamp is at the back of the helmet but there looks like a size stamp on the side? And there does look like there may be paint over pitting above the visor area, but you need to post better pics, can't tell much from those.

?

I have attached two more pictures underneath, one close up of some of the pitting, but this is an image the seller chose, so treat it with a grain of salt. The second is the helmet from a different angle, and one can see what might be the redish rust colour of the pitting, perhaps suggesting that it has not been painted over.
    The batch number 890 is on the side, while Q 62 is stamped on the back.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Considering purchasing, is this an authentic stahlhelm?   Considering purchasing, is this an authentic stahlhelm?  

That's an improvement, but the seller needs to take far more pics from different angles and in natural light.

It is a side marked Q (not rear marked as your state) , lot numbers with prefix DN 34x / 35x stopped carrying decals.
    Maker marking were always on the side somewhere in 1943 they moved them to the back, lot numbers are always in the back.
    Helmet looks ok but consider this a very low end helmet based on these shabby photos. I would save up for something better.

MAP
    ?

What is said is correct. In my view, we are all at different stages of our collecting career/budget...I think this is a nice honest 1st or 2nd helmet...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    It is a side marked Q (not rear marked as your state) , lot numbers with prefix DN 34x / 35x stopped carrying decals.
    Maker marking were always on the side somewhere in 1943 they moved them to the back, lot numbers are always in the back.
    Helmet looks ok but consider this a very low end helmet based on these shabby photos. I would save up for something better.
    The leather liner appears for me to be original, how much would you recommend paying for this helmet?
    For my untrained eyes, it appears to be in a pretty good condition...

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    What is said is correct. In my view, we are all at different stages of our collecting career/budget...I think this is a nice honest 1st or 2nd helmet...
    Yea this is my first helmet, and the seller is asking for around 400 dollars including shipping, (but the USD conversion is very bad atm, so it is practice it is probably closer to 320 dollars.)
    Does this sound fair, or can i get a helmet in better condition if I look elsewhere?

MAP
    ?

$320/$400 is fair but that is just my opinion. Others may disagree. It really comes down to if you are happy.

With any purchase, I would still ask for better photos (especially the split pins to see if the liner was replaced). And ask for an inspection period.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

If you are considering purchasing this I would certainly request more photos of the exterior paint.
    Last edited by Blackdog; 05-18-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast