Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A couple of Relics - Number 2

Article about: by Danmark Hi Scout, WOW - thanks for all that info, I'm impressed .... I assume this is a 'pet' subject for you? I too hope that it is legit ( just for the history / rarity ) and when it do

?

Default Re: A couple of Relics - Number 2

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Hi Scout,
    WOW - thanks for all that info, I'm impressed .... I assume this is a 'pet' subject for you?
    I too hope that it is legit ( just for the history / rarity ) and when it does show up I will do some decent close-ups
    ( there are plenty of paint and patina experts here )
    For $100 I took the chance - if all is good then I'm a happy camper, if not then it's a nice relic anyway!
    Cheers, Dan
    No problem, Dan.
    One of many interesting WWII subjects IMO.
    Here some of the helmets pictured.
    These have all been used by the Resistance Movement (and I use that term in the loosest sense of the word possible) in Denmark.
    Danish helmet M23 (Darth Vader would have been proud!). I have several of this type of M23, but they are all the same. Original Resistance Movement armband with sewn-on badge (three crowned lions and hearts). Also a roll of yards and yards of vintage 'Resistance Movement' tape celebrating the liberation of Denmark

Variation of the M23 with a baked on finish (this I know nothing about except that it came from the estate of a former resistance fighter). Holes in front where a badge was removed (most likely a police badge. I havent bothered to research it as these black helmets dont really have my interest)

German helmet from Denmark. Unfortunately with a (post war) paint job

Czech helmet as worn by the Resistance fighter in the car in my pics above
    This helmet is in very good condition (well, they all are except for the German helmet) and has a badge attached on the side with the Danish royal crown and the letters 'DSB' (Danske StatsBaner/Danish State Railways) + a code underneath. Original rivet for 'liner' or rather padding was removed, the badge put on and a new rivet attached.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A couple of Relics - Number 2
    P
    Many

Hi Scout,
    Thanks again! To return the favour, here are a couple of photos I found while surfing the net, a clearer one of the white gladiator helmet that shows the stripes as horizontal coloured bands, and a group photo with more Danish helmets AND a German ( but no markings ) AND, a Danish resistance armband off E Bay that the seller wants US$400 for!!!!!!!

This is proving to be an interesting subject that deserves a sticky of it's own perhaps???

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A couple of Relics - Number 2  
    Attached Images Attached Images A couple of Relics - Number 2  A couple of Relics - Number 2 

?

Again, no problem, Dan.
    Glad to give back a little info.
    Neat pics.
    That much for an armband!!
    I had another armband, maybe I shouldnt have given that away! LOL.
    Does the armband for sale have ‘M.I.’ woven into the white band running around the armband?
    It does not necessarily have to have it to be original (see below), but would be a very good pointer.
    A little info about the armband:
    The armband, which was later to be known as the Resistance Armband, was originally planned by the Danish Army as a ‘stop-gap’ measure for use by hastily drafted personnel, who was supposed to uphold law and order in case of a total break-down of the German occupation force in 1942 (the so called P-Plan).
    In said emergency, it might not be feasible to provide enough of the proper regulation uniforms as used by the Army, but an armband would identify the wearer as a combattant according to the Geneva Convention of 1907.
    The armband would make sure, that the wearer was not summarily executed, should he be taken prisoner and further more make sure that captured personnel were treated in accordance with the ‘laws’ and regulations of war (ahem…).
    The armbands were manufactured by the Army ‘Materiel-Intendantur’ hence the M.I.
    The blue cloth used for the armband was the same used for previous uniforms and on the fabric was sewn a band with the national colours of Denmark: Red and white. BTW The Danish flag is the worlds oldest flag and have quite a history and tradition to it.
    Its purely by accident then, that the colour combination resembles the well know RAF colours, though Danes at some point wore home-made ‘beanies’ or caps in RAF colours – so called RAF-beanies.
    These caps were worn to show defiance against the German occupation.
    Back to the armband: A round metal badge was sewn on to the armband. The badge or shield shows the heraldic symbol of the state of Denmark: Three lions.
    On August 29. the German Occupational force disbanded the Danish Army and the Army then worked on putting together resistance groups in coordination with the civilian Resistance Movement. This cooperation was very troubled at times with horrible consequenses, but that is another story.
    Anyway this is how, what was meant as a an Army armband came to be an armband and symbol for the joint Resistance Movement.
    Because of a lack of fabric and because these armband were produced locally, the Resistance Armband is found in a multitude of versions, in different qualities and with or without the metal shield/badge and the woven letters ‘M.I.’
    To add to the confusion of collectors, the armband was produced locally in different colours according to where it was produced in different parts of Denmark.
    Some used green armbands for example.
    To summarize:
    Original Resistance Movement armbands have the M.I. woven into the narrow while band.
    This is a good pointer for when buying these.
    But original armbands are also found without the M.I. woven into the white band.
    One would be well prepared for collecting, had one had one of the original armbands in hand. They really have a quality of their own.
    That is of course difficult if one is embarking on ones first purchase of these armband which means very much to historically interested Danes.
    So be careful when buying, it’s a jungle out there!

Dannebrog - the flag of Denmark. National colours - red and white - is used for the Resistance Movement armband on a background of blue surplus cloth.

RAF-beanie or cap used as a symbol of defiance against the German Occupation force in Denmark. Used from early 1943. Purely by accident are the colours the same as on the Resistance Armband.

Just remember that it could be fake from my one thread in the relic section........ either way it is nice

?

Theres a lot of these HD German helmet relics popping up recently

A LOT Tony??? ..... I've only seen my one and the other that was put up by 'THAT' Ebay seller.
    I would like to see others purporting to be HD helmets to compare mine to as ( in my eyes at least ) I remain unsure of it being good or bad.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I find it strange though that in all the pictures of possible HD resistance members, none have the HD on them...........

Quote by kylesbullets View Post
    I find it strange though that in all the pictures of possible HD resistance members, none have the HD on them...........
    A couple do in the car in pic 4.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    A couple do in the car in pic 4.
    Didn't see those....... wasn't looking for them there..... thanks for pointing that out!

?

I've seen 5 on eBay in the last 6 months!!!! All relics

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast