Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A couple of Relics - Number 2

Article about: by Danmark Hi Scout, WOW - thanks for all that info, I'm impressed .... I assume this is a 'pet' subject for you? I too hope that it is legit ( just for the history / rarity ) and when it do

Default A couple of Relics - Number 2

Me again,

This squashed lid was advertised as a 'Holger Danske' helmet. Supposedly worn by a member of the Danish Resistance movement of the same name.
    These were the auction photos - when it arrives I will be able to see if the letters match the age of the helmet and post close-ups, but so far the paint & patina seems to look legit.

Has anyone seen one of these?
    Did I do well?? ..... ( it wasn't a lot of money anyway if it is a dud )

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A couple of Relics - Number 2   A couple of Relics - Number 2  

A couple of Relics - Number 2   A couple of Relics - Number 2  

A couple of Relics - Number 2  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A couple of Relics - Number 2
    P
    Many

Default Re: A couple of Relics - Number 2

Can't comment!
    Never heard of the 'Holger Danske', one learns every day!
    Seems the HD man had a hard time...
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

This is the wikipedia page on the Holger Danske
    Holger Danske (resistance group) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dan

"Trippy" that's one out there lid Bud!

I hope it's real but how would you ever know?

Very true Glenn, hope it's real. Looks decent though

Jason

?

(Holger Danske resistance fighter executed by the Germans is carried to his final resting place after the liberation of Denmark).
    The resistance movement in Denmark mostly wore helmets in the very last days of the fighting and then during the happy days of liberation.
    During the occupation they blew up factories and killed collaborators etc - none of which called for the wearing of helmets, as they obviously travelled inqognito when carrying out their 'duties.'
    When wearing helmets, Holger Danske/other resistance groups often wore the (not too sexy) danish helmet. Seen here as worn by a member of Holger Danske during the arrest of collaborators (a glimpse of what looks like a German helmet in the backgound):

(note Bergman pistol with 'home made' long mag).
    and here a couple of resistance fighters. One wearing the Danish helmet (and a P08 stuck in the belt *SIGH*):

Here some Holger Danske members are joyriding. Both Danish helmets and a single Czech helmet is worn.

Here some commie resistance fighters from BOPA (Borgerlige Partisaner) is seen wearing Danish helmets in a variety of colour schemes and brandishing US M1s and SUOMI SMGs.

Grainy pic, but looks like a mix of police helmets and german helmets here:

German helmets certainly were used. Here two Resistance fighters wearing German helmets. One looks like a gladiator helmet (sign says "Closed due to joy"):

Here some happy amateuers. I dont know to which group they belonged (if any.):

Some helmets were painted. Here a Danish helmet with paint stripes on it:

So in conclusion:
    Some helmets were painted by the Resistance.
    German helmets were worn by the Resistance.

Could your helmet have belonged to a member of the Holger Danske Resistance group?
    I dont know
    PS
    According to the myth, Holger Danske is resting in a crypt and waiting for when Denmark is in dire straits. When that hour comes, he will rise and fight for Denmark. That bloke must be a sound sleeper and enjoying his REM sleep, because he havent stirred yet (but thats another story)

Hi Scout,
    WOW - thanks for all that info, I'm impressed .... I assume this is a 'pet' subject for you?
    I too hope that it is legit ( just for the history / rarity ) and when it does show up I will do some decent close-ups
    ( there are plenty of paint and patina experts here )
    For $100 I took the chance - if all is good then I'm a happy camper, if not then it's a nice relic anyway!
    Cheers, Dan

In the FOURTH of Scout's photos ( the one with the resistance men in the car ) two of the men wearing Danish helmets have 'HD' painted on the front. ( Other Danish helmet wearers dont )

I can imagine if one was to wear a captured German helmet one WOULD paint one's allegience onto the helmet to avoid being shot by one's own side! ...... another point of logic towards it's legitimacy??

Dan

?

Looks like three helmets with painted letters on them.
    First one standing to the left has his helmet pushed back, but you can just see that something is painted on his helmet.
    Then the bloke with the Czech helmet and then two more with letters on their helmets.

In the other pic with the gladiator(?) helmet: Could be interesting to see what was painted on it. Unfortunately the pics is too small.

Quote by Danmark View Post

I can imagine if one was to wear a captured German helmet one WOULD paint one's allegience onto the helmet to avoid being shot by one's own side! ...... another point of logic towards it's legitimacy??

Dan
    Most certainly. Good point.
    Further more they would paint their own danish helmets to show to which group, they belonged to.
    In early '45 everybody and his brother was suddenly a resistance fighter and wore Resistance Movement armbands, helmets and (if they could get their sweaty mitts on them) guns.
    From being very small (some say as small as app 1ooo active fighters (not counting owners of safe houses and others who furnished food, clothing etc), the numbers of the Resistance Movement swelled to thousands.
    That in comparison to the thousands who joined the Wehrmacht and the Free Corps Danmark and fought on the Eastern Front and (in the end) Berlin (which was by then The Eastern Front).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast