Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Czech M34 Luftschutz

Article about: Here are some pictures of my Czech M32 re-issues Luftschutz helmet. I believe the decal is correct, at least I've had it since M32s were harder to find than Luftschutz helmets. I'm sure some

?

Default Czech M34 Luftschutz

Czech M34 LuftschutzCzech M34 LuftschutzCzech M34 LuftschutzCzech M34 Luftschutz
    Here are some pictures of my Czech M32 re-issues Luftschutz helmet. I believe the decal is correct, at least I've had it since M32s were harder to find than Luftschutz helmets. I'm sure somebody can confirm either way.
    My questions are:
    1. On the back of the helmet is a tan painted shape, does anybody know if that has any meaning.

2. Under the tan shape is a white hand painted star, this would have been the front of the helmet before it was reissued. Does any body know if a white star was used in the Czech armed forces or could it have been used by another country.
    Thanks,
    Steve.
    Last edited by Tinhat; 11-13-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Typo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Czech M34 Luftschutz
    P
    Many

Default Re: Czech M34 Luftschutz

I think your helmet is legit but I am not helmet expert. One thing you got to realize is that the Mzech M34 (that is the correct number) who used by any number of German Allied states such as Croatia. They could have just as easily had German insignia on them as well. I have pictures of Croatian Soldiers wearing German helmets with the German insignia left intact.

-Martin

I too think the helmet and colour are spot on. The Decal looks good too - certainly a genuine period decal. The Star on the back I'd say is a commie star (would be red with a white border) - I've seen a few of this type of "Double decal" reissue helmets, I think the tan is just to (much later) cover that up (badly). I'd say by someone later rather than earlier, scared that having the two would de-value the collectability of it.
    BUT.............I've never seen these helmets being worn backwards - I don't think that was EVER the front (Might have been put there by a commie hoping NOT to get shot in the back by his own sides by wearing a grey helmet!!!!)

?

Thanks for the responses, the star has no red, there are enough chips around the rivet to see the layers of paint, the Luftshutz dark blue is painted over the star.

The Czech's wore the helmet with the rivet on the front, it makes sense because the single pad is sqaure to the forehead, all pitures I have seen show this.
    Czechoslovak army 1918-1938 - Page 2
    I've seen picture of a number of Luftschutz re-issues and all have had the decal on the 'back', I assumed this was to fit the decal, and the helmet can be worn back to front. I've always belived these to have been re-used after the 1938 invasion, but that doesn't answer the star.
    I thought it may be an officers mark, Czech officers used stars on thier insignia, however I can't find anyhting to back this theory up, it it may just be wishful thinking.
    I like the helmet anyway.
    Thanks,
    Steve.

Steve...huh.............I stand corrected on the rivet (thought it was the other way around.........hmmmm)
    Stars on headgear................yeaaaaah - the Slovaks certainly DO wear rank on the front of caps, berets etc (looks shit mind you)....but it's falling from use now as they get into line with NATO, but a star THAT big?.........that might be taking the piss a bit mate - that's MASSIVE!
    I guess it'll just be one of those mysteries that never get's explained. I've seen plenty of the red/white stars on helmets.....but never a white one!

The luftschutz decal is a totally fake one.
    chris

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    The luftschutz decal is a totally fake one.
    chris

Unfortunately Chris is right. Compare the decal on the helmet that started the thread to this one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Czech M34 Luftschutz   Czech M34 Luftschutz  

Last edited by helmet2id; 01-18-2015 at 04:49 PM.

?

I was surprised to see this thread surface again.

A bit disappointing to find out the decal is bad, but thanks for the feedback and reference images, I might look into taking it back to it's original paint now.

Steve.