Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

D day m35 preservation

Article about: I picked up this helmet the other day and need help in stopping the rust. The helmet was picked up off Utah beach onD-day by a sailor from the USS Jim Bridger which was a liberty ship bringi

Default D day m35 preservation

I picked up this helmet the other day and need help in stopping the rust. The helmet was picked up off Utah beach onD-day by a sailor from the USS Jim Bridger which was a liberty ship bringing troops in from England. I know I paid to much but how often can you have a helmet from that day.
    Thanks for any help in preservation.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D day m35 preservation   D day m35 preservation  

D day m35 preservation   D day m35 preservation  

D day m35 preservation  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement D day m35 preservation
    P
    Many

I find that wiping over with a good beeswax polish does the job rather well. I am talking about the stuff out of a jar - and most definitely not the spray stuff. I believe that the Royal Armouries do this to their collections. I dare say that others on the forum will have different opinions though, one of which will be to leave it as it is.

That helmet does not need any oxidation preservation. It won't fall apart on you anytime soon.
    Please keep it in a stabile environment and it will stay as is. Once you start with oils you will kill the original look it now has and will devalue as well and it will not accomplish your aim for longer preservation either.
    I saw too many helmets that were destroyed in the seventies, eighties like this , leather that was treated to preserve it that is now black , hard and ruined.
    Helmets that have a shiny oily look that you can't get off etcetera.

I have never put anything on any of my helmets other than dusting them off, but with this having the rust I was not sure of future damage. I hate the improper storage conditions it was already subjected and do not want to lose his helmet to further rust damage .
    Marty

I agree, leave it as it is, but store it in a dry, well ventilated place.

Well the consensus is to leave the helmet as is and I would have to agree. I know the helmet is not much to look at but it is a part of history the helmet and I know we cannot be proven A 1000% but I am pretty sure this helmet was there at Utah beach I think that's exciting.
    Marty
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 04-18-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I know the helmet is not much to look at Marty
    I disagree , I think it is a great looking piece of history. Treasure it.

Hi, a great helmet and I am sure you will look after it well and it will be fine. Leon.

More information concerning the USS Jim Bridger and the MAN(read last paragraph)
    Served on the ETO And PTO front
    ETO
    Pappy White was aboard one of the 5,000 vessels involved in the D-Day landing on the Normandy coast on June 6, 1944, the day of invasion of western Europe by allied forces in World War II. His ship, the SS Jim Bridger was assigned to bring troops and supplies to the Omaha Beach section of the landing zone. Omaha Beach was under strong enemy fire during the invasion. Approximately 2,000 American servicemen lost their lives, many of whom were wounded and were lost in the rising tide as they tried to get to shore.
    Ferried troops and supplies multiple across the English Channel

PTO
    Mindanao Island landings

A. S. Dunniway 17 Apr 45-23 Apr 45
    Charles Walcott 17 Apr 45-23 Apr 45
    Creel 17 Apr 45-23 Apr 45
    Heber 17 Apr 45-23 Apr 45
    Jefferson Davis 17 Apr 45-23 Apr 45
    Jim Bridger 17 Apr 45-23 Apr 45
    John Dockweiler 17 Apr 45-23 Apr 45
    Soter Ortynsky 17 Apr 45-23 Apr 45
    T. A. Johnson 17 Apr 45-23 Apr 45

The Man.
    If you have ever seen the movie revenant he is the young boy who stayed with Hugh Glass after Glass was mauled by the bear. He later went on the become one of the greatest mountain men and scout this country has ever seen. He was the first white man to see the geysers at Yellowstone.