Become our sponsor and display your banner here

DAK Alamein Helmets

Article about: I really enjoy DAK helmets, especially those associated with the El Alamein battles. This is one of my favorites: Major Georg Briel, Commander, Heeres-Flak-Bataillon 606, 90th Light Div, Ala

Default DAK Alamein Helmets

I really enjoy DAK helmets, especially those associated with the El Alamein battles. This is one of my favorites:
    Name:  briel.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  29.5 KB
    Major Georg Briel, Commander, Heeres-Flak-Bataillon 606, 90th Light Div, Alamein, 1942

It appears from this photo and another to be a M35, but I'm not sure if it was spray painted or brush painted. I'm also not sure of what the original color was, or what the color of the darker paint is under the chipped/worn tropical paint--apple green (it is reflecting sunlight) or a later color. The other photo shows that the shield decal was painted over, but I wonder about the eagle (I read here that Heer decals were less likely to be covered vs Luftwaffe). I'd appreciate your views.

I have seen many posts with many excellent examples of original helmets, but I am still looking in hopes of finding one about Afrikakorps helmets. In my search I've found far too many fakes, but would love to see some original examples!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: DAK Alamein Helmets

Good picture. There is one on p218 of Kurtz's Afrika Korps book of him wearing the same helmet and the caption says "factory applied gray coating".
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.