Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

to DAK or not to DAK

Article about: Hi Guys, this helmet popped up for sale. Initianally I liked it. It´s a Q64 lot DN220. I thought the liner and strap and shell look good. But I have my doubts on the paintjob. I have never s

Default to DAK or not to DAK

Hi Guys,

this helmet popped up for sale. Initianally I liked it. It´s a Q64 lot DN220. I thought the liner and strap and shell look good.
    But I have my doubts on the paintjob. I have never seen a real DAK. But I thought DAK helmets were not issued brown camo, but were made so in the field. Therefore brown camo should only be on the outside and not on the inside. Am not sure about that though. Am I correct or not?

Someone I know told me more like these exist. They are original helmets (also original parts) that were painted by the Czechoslovakian army, but never were actually issued tot the army. Theye were painted in the fiftys and that's why the paintjob is actually old, but not ww2 period.

Is this correct?

Thanks for second opinions!

to DAK or not to DAKto DAK or not to DAKto DAK or not to DAKto DAK or not to DAKto DAK or not to DAK

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement to DAK or not to DAK
    P
    Many

Default Re: to DAK or not to DAK

BTW: any weapon experts here? have picture of ingravements on the metal of a rifle I would like to share

Hello, I saw these helmets in Germany in the 80's in stock, it is not AK but German helmet for another army after the war. Wait and buy a tropical helmet, a good one have camo ouside but never inside.
    Cheers,
    Michel

?

I've heard this before but I think they would have marked them, the paint is definetly postwar, the chinstrap and liner looks ok to me

The paint is not Deutsche Afrika Korps. These helmets were found in Czechoslovakia in large numbers back in the 80's. Nobody then, and nobody now, knows their purpose. One thing is certain, these helmets were never issued. Also, this is the first one I have ever seen paired with a chinstrap, so the strap was probably added much later. In my opinion these helmets have no connection with Nazi Germany. They were gathered up after WWII, repainted and given a liner, and then placed in a storage depot until they were rediscovered in the 80's.

Corey

Yep, pretty much spot on. Some say they were a contract destined for Nasser's Egypt, but the end of his regime scuppered the plans.

I have posted this image before of DAK helmets in a "surrender pile" in 1942 /43.
    Check out how many Ordnance Tan helmets there are, you know the 'quintessential DAK helmet'????
    Look at the shades of colour ( and wear ) and then our opinions should change for when we go looking for that Afrika Korps helmet for our collection.
    Regards, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture to DAK or not to DAK  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Theres a guy on here that has one in his collection (with the whole inside/outside painted tan)..
    I saw pics of this helmet and asked him about it, and he told me that they were painted in factory,
    and were intended to go to Africia for the campaign there, but had lost..
    I honestly dont know on this one, just relaying what I was told..

Most certainly this helmet has never seen the deserts of AFRICA.Just possible it's been to LANZAROTTI on holiday though.I personally would not be spending my money on this one but if it's cheap and you want the steel have a go.