Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dd m35

Article about: I don't think the decals has been liberated, it is due the helmets was cleaned from the surface rust with a kind of rough sponge, after the chemical cleaning. You cannot liberate them, due t

?

Default Re: Dd m35

I don't think the decals has been liberated, it is due the helmets was cleaned from the surface rust with a kind of rough sponge, after the chemical cleaning. You cannot liberate them, due the wet decals will gone first. Normally the paint in the ground - at least the paint which is field or depot reapplied sometimes get weak after the chemical cleaning, and easily could be removed with the sponge as aquarell. If we are talking about the history value, then firstly they was disassembled before chemical cleaning. After they are restored- they got more beautiful look, then they was before, but lost a historical value- in this case you need to choose what you are prefer- first is a rusty piece or second is presented look.
    These helmets looks like from a sandy ground found pieces, due of specific rust on it. I had a hundreds of such helmets seen.
    If you are buying these helmets from a direct source somewhere in Valdai area, then it must cost approx 40- 60 USD for a piece ( usually the diggers didn't clean them), if you buying from someone in Moscow the price could be approx 250-300 for such a helmet.
    The time of the deep bunkers are gone, or the time of the better metal detectors is still upcoming, the good helmets from a deep bunkers with a blue clay, will be perfectly saved from any rust and age damages. I will just make a picture of mine, preserved in the Totenkopf bunker in the Demjansk area, which was found under the wooden floor
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dd m35
    P
    Many

?

As promised: This helmet was found in the TK bunker. it holds the floor on it. Here is a condition as found, just a small springs which is connected liner to the helmet are rotten, in other still is a very perfect true example of soviet M 40 helmet with three pad leather liner. Note : the leather is still soft and playable, and did not lost color
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dd m35   Dd m35  

Dd m35   Dd m35  

Dd m35  
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

Thank you for the input Dimas. The seller say the helmets was found in this condition.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    And that's on the top end. Both have liberated decals and are messed with. I would pass as their historical value has been seriously compromised now. There's plenty of these fish in the sea.
    Thank you for the advice DougB. I have however bought the helmets and they are on their way. It is the first helmets that i buy, others i dug out of the ground. I just want to start out not shooting to high. I will learn a lot from this buy i think. I pay about 130$ for them. One of them is for a friend back in Denmark.

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Thank you for the input Dimas. The seller say the helmets was found in this condition.
    They are 110% cleaned, but even that 130 usd is a bargain
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

I am afraid I do not and will never understand prices on helmets in this condition when a nice no decal shell can be had for $150 on its own. BUt thats just me, to each his own, right!

?

So, today the helmets arrived. Here are the pics. After looking at them, i do not think they are cleaned helmets as some suggested. The outer layer is applied crudely with a brush. The rust look too undamaged for them to have been cleaned up, IMHO. The DD helmet is a "Q". I will put this one in the classifieds section. The liners are in another parcel

The "Q" lid

Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35

Single decal. This one i will keep and maybe restore. Don't know yet. I have a sweet spot for relic lids. They are a second kind of cool.

Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35Dd m35

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Single decal. This one i will keep and maybe restore. Don't know yet. I have a sweet spot for relic lids. They are a second kind of cool.
    Restore ? What result are you hoping to achieve by that , this helmet has lived its life. You can merely make a monster of Frankenstein out of it.

?

I must admit me old mate, theres quite a difference in restoring an original helmet that some twit has ruined by putting silly paint on and fake decals to trying to restore a helmet that has remnants of original paint and decals on, its like buying a replica helmet and adding real decals and liner, it doesnt work, all history is destroyed and the only thing your left with is something that is asthetically pleasing to the eye and nothing more

I agree, leave the old helmet in it's golden years of beauty. Only restore battered old dogs as in your other thread.

I like relic lids and think you've done well with purchasing these examples, keep up scouring russia for such relics!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast