Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Decal advice please.

Article about: Hi all, This probably wont go down to well with members but I have some genuine period decals including Heer and KM. As I have an Heer M40 where the original decal has been removed I am cons

Default Re: Decal advice please.

Please don't do that. Not only is it in poor taste in my opinion, but the decals will fall apart. They are old and cracked and they will fall apart as soon as you start playing with them.

Not to mention that those decals certainly don't go together anyway. If you want an original that bad then trade your fake helmets for some books, and then you can make an informed decision.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

...Ditto to all the posts...even though you claim to only consider applying the decal, then maybe you should sell the decals on the forum and that way you won't ever again be tempted to do such a thing. And then use the money to buy a complete helmet with decal(s).

The Tricolour you have is pretty rare! I've never seen one still on the paper of that type, and only very few on early helmets. My advice is display them in a frame or sell them mate, I think you would regret putting them on the lid. From a purely financial point of view you are MUCH better off keeping everything as it is today.

?

Brad you have in your possesion IMO something that is so rare that it would be a shame to apply them to a helmet and they should be displayed in there own right .If they were mine they would be one of the center pieces of my collection and I can think of many applications were these would look incredible possibly displayed with some period photographs and or an ID disk . There are so many possibilities for display I just dont think applying them to a helmet should be one of them .

Regards Mark K
    Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

?

Why apply and wreck these decals....as said they are rare and you'd be destroying one peice of history to destroy another peice of history

Ditto to all the above. Trying to make changes or use something that is both old and rare is not only asking for trouble but risking the destruction of the item. It's kind of like trying to clean an old medal or straighten a bent pin on one. It changes the item and all too often results in something broken and damaged.
    If you want to display a restored helmet, just buy a repro decal. The folks who don't know anything won't know the difference and the knowledgeable ones won't be fooled, and you will not have damaged something of value.

Thanks guys for your input and understanding versus strident criticism from some members including sarcasm from the moderator. As I have indicated if you care to look at my post on steel helmets headed "important "of a couple of weeks ago you will see some photos of some of my collection.

?

Hi Brad I have seen your collection and it is quite impressive and that is why I could not understand the reasoning behind using these rare decals IMO they should be preserved .They are of historical importance but the decision ultimately belongs to you as they are yours I do think it would be a shame though to apply them to a helmet when there are so many helmets on the market for sale and so few of these if any at all !!!

Regards Mark K
    Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

?

Quote by reichss View Post
    Thanks guys for your input and understanding versus strident criticism from some members including sarcasm from the moderator. As I have indicated if you care to look at my post on steel helmets headed "important "of a couple of weeks ago you will see some photos of some of my collection.
    Hmm, let's see why I was sarcastic........maybe it's your cavalier attitude towards originality as again demonstrated by this post, and these both here and GHW;

Re: M16 dd ss
    Are you seriously suggesting that the M16 Camo Guards helmet is a re-pro?.

Re: M16 dd ss
    Firstly I didn't get ripped off for thousands of dollars so rest easy please. Secondly I am not trying to delude myself or anyone else as to originality of these items I have put on the forum for (...

Re: M35 SS DD Stahlhelm
    I am listening or I wouldn't continue this thread and there is no need for you to be cynical in your comment. I accept the opinions about the runes decal being a repro, again I only wish to foster...

Sorry to say that in all likelyhood, this is a parts cap or frankenstein. As I suspected, the peak is glued on with some kind of black sealant. There are a few very untidy hand sewn stitches through the leather band and out to the exterior in that area but that's all. The lining is a total mess with little attempt at the proper way of pleating it and neatly sewing it to the frame of the cap. The TK definitely looks cast to me. (comments on your SS officer cap)

With reference to the M40 Camo wired helmet I just posted, this M35 came from the same seller although I purchased it some time ago. Marked ET 64, serial no: 4190 If this is considered a fake...

Hi all,the general consensus is the liner is post war so I've enclosed some close-up photos of the underside of liner plus close-ups of the wire.
    There is a stamp on the reverse of liner which I...

Well thankyou all for your comments, I found it very interesting and somewhat informative although surprised so many think the camo is post war, I am positive it is not. This helmet came direct from...

Hi Steve, again photos are not the final arbiter in judging the authenticity of an item. Both of these sabres are 100% pre 1945 manufactured originals.

Re: Camo Politzie stahlhelm
    So it seems the decals are repro, okay I'll go along with that. Begs the question with the camo colored lid that here you have the largest size one with an original liner and chinstrap, surely if...

Re: Another look at Normandy lid
    If that's not a real period camo I'll eat my hat or even my own camo lids.

Re: Oberbayen Cuffband
    Thanks for your opinion. Why would they go to so much trouble to have the two SS tags made up and machine stitched when paper copies could just as easily be placed there?. Also the detail and raising...

and of course this gem---

Hi Doug, appreciate your opinion. The helmet came into the possession of my wife's uncles family, they like her parents are resident in Normandy. Although not remembered exactly when , it was...

-- which changed to another story altogether later on....

Brad your cavalier and oft argumentative commentary on 2 different forums when presented with the harsh reality is difficult to fathom and no, that does not make it a point of discussion. To seriously ask the forum if you should take an original decal and apply it to a helmet (decals were meant to be used...) is simply past my point of tolerance for what's supposed to be a collectors forum where people come learn about original items vs. ask if they should rig up a fake using original components, make up stories about Normandy camo SS helmets, or argue the point every single time when presented with the sad reality of the majority of your helmets which you've posted on 2 forums to date.

So forgive the sarcasm but I think it's warranted given the well established track record.

Quote by reichss View Post
    .... including sarcasm from the moderator.
    This type of thing, (helmets), isn't my area of expertise, but sarcasm and conduct of moderators is. I can see nothing wrong with DougB's replies. From the evidence I have seen, and the tone of your original post, your were either looking to create an argument, or fishing for insults. If neither was your intention, then the post was naive at best and pointless at worst. If you wish to be treated with respect you should earn that respect through good conduct and honesty. It would appear that you have little capacity for either.

I suggest you gain some respect quickly, or your time on this forum will be rather limited.

Steve T

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast