Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Did hitler have a m35 helmet?

Article about: Its a question i have never heard asked.the majority of the nazi party leaders where photographed in german steel helmets.we know hitler was always armed with a pistol.my guess would be that

?

Default Re: Did hitler have a m35 helmet?

As stated earlier he thought of himself as a supreme ruler and wearing a helmet would've shown weakness. I think he had one and most likely wore one, but thouht as the Roman emperors of old and did not where one around the camera, or screened the photo's to not show him ever with a helmet of the common man!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Quote by Robert Donnell View Post
    Actually the name on Hitler's birth certificate was Adolphus Hiedler, he changed it (After WWI) to Hitler because that is how it is about how it is pronounced. Hitler is not a German name, nor is Hiedler. Somewhere out there is an Austrian helmet marked Hiedler.
    This is very true

I'm currently ready William Shirer's 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich' Hitlers name went through two or three modifications. It's quite confusing that his father, grandfather, and great-grandfather had slightly different names!

It's a fascinating read, I'd recommend it for everyone.

I do remember reading awhile back, they said there was an armor plate in the top of his visor cap, since Adolf Hitler was so adament on riding around throughout the country side in an open top Mercedes sedan.

They actually mentioned it on History channel the other night, they were doing a story on the assassination attempts on his life, and they said he did have armor plates on the inside of his cap.

So he was comfortable with that, instead of the M35 helmet.

Brian

Hitler carried a hidden gun at all times ,so he knew he was mortal,even though he didnt want to appear like the ordinary officer type armed outside their clothing.

?

Does anyone really thing a little steel plate in a peaked cap would be of much good against anything? Hell, full steel helmets aren't proof against much beyond small splinters on the whole; I would expect it more likely to be the barest concession to those who urged better protection and agree it's unlikely he'd want to show the 'weakness' of needing anything visible like a helmet. Armor isn't the status symbol it once was to be sure. It seems to me that the choice not to conspicuously carry a weapon is an indicator of the mindset- if one has guards, one doesn't need to be armed; or armoured.

Did his entourage carry extra stuff like a gas mask, etc. for him just in case? Possibly, but I don't know if it's reasonable to consider any of that 'his' since that implies something to be truly personal.

The bottom line is that without proof, there's just speculation, which isn't anything more than just a bit of fun.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

interesting thread! I'm quite suprised there are not more m16 helmets out there for sale with hitlers name inside.....he must have had a uniform as well in ww1....there are probaly hundreds of of pieces of 'original' hitler kit out there.

?

He never went to the front lines, always had the SS guard with him.. took the guns away from civilians so they can't shoot at him,, has no need for a helmet

Hi, all !

I just saw a film last eve on TR architecture and Hitlers' plans for Berlin,
    and saw some period footage of Herman Goering wearing a M35 at
    some big rally/function..............At least HE had one ! !

Regards, Steve.

?

did some high command wear VOLCAN light weight helmets for watching parades?

Did his entourage carry extra stuff like a gas mask, etc. for him just in case? Possibly, but I don't know if it's reasonable to consider any of that 'his' since that implies something to be truly personal.

The bottom line is that without proof, there's just speculation, which isn't anything more than just a bit of fun.[/QUOTE]

Matt,

It is just a bit of fun.

The personal nature of a Gas mask (he would have had to be fitted for it and test the air seal at a minimum, the usual checks,etc, who knows?) combined with the fact he was badly injured with a gas attack at the end of WW1 would probably have given him a healthy respect for that weapon system.
    Since there was always a threat of Chemical attack throughout WW2 it seems logical that he must have had 'his' available and speculating, only for a bit of fun, a helmet as well as the rest of the gear since even he could be caught out by an air attack?
    Someone in his entourage must have had it on his things to do(duty of care to the Fuhrer) or go to Russia list!

Jock

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234