Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Doubt about my new M42 German Helmet

Article about: Hi gentlemen! I bought this helmet last week, but I have some doubts about it. So, my questions are: - This is a real M42 [register - hkp64]? - Color is correct? - The M42 helmet generally u

Default Doubt about my new M42 German Helmet

Hi gentlemen!

I bought this helmet last week, but I have some doubts about it.

So, my questions are:
    - This is a real M42 [register - hkp64]?
    - Color is correct?
    - The M42 helmet generally used the liner of the M35?
    - M35, M40 and M42 helmet used the same liner?
    - My chinstrap is dated 1940. How can a M42 helmet use a 1940 chinstrap?

Doubt about my new M42 German HelmetDoubt about my new M42 German HelmetDoubt about my new M42 German HelmetDoubt about my new M42 German HelmetDoubt about my new M42 German Helmet

Excuse me for the many questions, but I would like to be sure about my helmet.

Sorry for my bad english,
    Regards from Brazil,
    Gustavo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Doubt about my new M42 German Helmet
    P
    Many

Your M42 looks ok the M35 and M40 helmets mainly had a alu band as part of the liner band and alot of M42 used a steel liner band but cant be used as a rule as things get broken and replaced ,

Hi, the helmet shell itself looks ok and the chinstraps were changed/swapped around during the war and after so I would not worry about the date on it to much. The liner is tougher for me to call from this image as it is not detailed/sharp enough, but one of the chinstrap bales appears rather thin to me. It may just be the picture distorting it but I would be concerned that the liner may not be original to the helmet. Try and take some better close-up images so we can tell for sure. Leon.

Thanks a lot for your attention, Leon!
    More images, as you requested:
    Doubt about my new M42 German HelmetDoubt about my new M42 German HelmetDoubt about my new M42 German HelmetDoubt about my new M42 German Helmet
    Best regards from Brazil;
    Gustavo
    --------------------------------------------------

?

Gustavo, use the sunny weather in Brasil to take some outside photos of things you want to show us.

(aaaaaand some photos of some cute chicas would be nice )

'G. Schiele Loburg' strap is likely an aged Czech repro.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Gustavo, I think the liner is looking ok from these images, the tie cord has of course been replaced but that looks about as bad as it gets to me! Do the liner pins show any signs of having been opened and closed again (bends or ripples to the pins)? Leon.

?

Very simple answer to why it would have a 1940 chinstrap, they were just using what was still in stock at the time, or it's a replacement

chinstrap looks like a reproduction but the photos are poor and make judgment difficult.
    M42's can have 1940 dated liners and straps. That in itself is not an issue.