Dr. Ludwigs helmet.

Article about: This helmet came to me around 20 years ago with a white medics helmet seen elsewhere in the helmet section. Both have had a hard life and this one had had a repaint for sure. Unfortunately t

Default Dr. Ludwigs helmet.

This helmet came to me around 20 years ago with a white medics helmet seen elsewhere in the helmet section. Both have had a hard life and this one had had a repaint for sure. Unfortunately the paint on this helmet appears to be parting from the helmet back to bare metal in places. Its the only helmet I have ever seen do this sort of thing but as its a local helmet to the Island and it came with another medic helmet I am loathed to part with it even if the paint is flakey. I am not positive but I think I may also be able to see the outline of a decal under the paint as well...what do you think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7251.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	314.5 KB 
ID:	481453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7252.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	346.7 KB 
ID:	481454  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7253.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	304.0 KB 
ID:	481455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7256.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	481456  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7257.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	339.5 KB 
ID:	481457  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Dr. Ludwigs helmet.

The flash glare makes it impossible to make a judgement on the paint. The personalization as well, it looks very well, messy is the word. I am hesitant to comment further because white photographs poorly to begin with and combined with flash glare it makes it difficult to make a judgement.

Dr might not be medical dr btw, it was common in Germany for those with doctorates to refer to themselves this way, I have had several items to "Dr's" who were not medical doctors.
    Last edited by DougB; 03-13-2013 at 05:04 PM.

?

Mr Doug is correct about the Dr.

Hi,
    Yes thats correct what your saying DougB. But having come with a white medics helmet there's a fifty fifty chance he was a real Dr. Either way still a good helmet albeit flakey.
    D.

Hi Jersey,could this have been a kreigsmarine overpaint?I have seen several "smooth" paint naval helmets in the past that have flaked badly like this one,just a thought! Leon.