Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DRK Helmet ???

Article about: Hi Guys, What do you think on this DRK helmet ? I have read on the forum about concerns on the round bottom decal. Thanks

Default DRK Helmet ???

Hi Guys, What do you think on this DRK helmet ? I have read on the forum about concerns on the round bottom decal. Thanks

DRK Helmet ???DRK Helmet ???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DRK Helmet ???
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I have heard the same. But behold....Frank Just posted one for sale in the classified section! your lucky day
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I have never seen a Red Cross helmet that was genuine in anything except the M34 model. As they were not front line troops, there would be no reason for them wearing a M35, M40 or M42.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Agreed but this one is a M34.

MAP
    ?

In Ken N's new book, this particular decal is shown as well as the pointed version. From my untrained eyes it appears to be an exact match. He does say that this variant, which is less commonly found is considered of "dubious" authenticity by some collectors. In my reading of his comments, it appears that he considers them to be legitimate.

I found that bargains on this auction site are getting hard to realize. I bought some fantastic items a few years ago for very fair prices even after the fee's and shipping but lately things have been very expensive.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi MAP, Cheers buddy I also have a untrained eye on these particular items and there certainly seems some confusion on these decals. I found this on a website with a picture and the decal matches exactly to this one I posted and your right about the auction prices they have been crazy lately!

extract from website:

Of the two decals most encountered on wartime helmets, the round bottom variety is considered by some collectors as a high quality reproduction dating back to the 1950's or 1960’s. However, none of these accusations have ever been fully substantiated with any level of credibility. The notion that the round bottomed decal is a reproduction stems from the suggestion that the round bottom is an inherent graphic error (or historical mistake) within the reproduction design. This suggestion has fuelled an ongoing debate and many collectors' myths regarding this style of decal. As a result, pointed bottom decals are naturally more favoured by some collectors based on the notion that they are probably more original than round bottomed decals. Even so, it must be pointed out that DRK decals with pointed bottoms have also been reproduced. Therefore, the discussion of one style being more original than another is clearly unfounded. Original round bottom DRK decals clearly existed and are original to the time period regardless of the misleading debate on this issue.

A round bottomed decal on a blue M34? At the outset I don't believe the round bottoms are real, but in addition, I haven't ever seen a blue DRK - in my experience grey is the usual color and very rarely green. Regarding the minority view that round bottom DRK decals existed, until I see a period photograph I will remain an infidel. Just my opinion, but I am skeptical. Sorry, Jim G.

DRK Helmet ???

This apparently is an original round bottom decal. Thanks Jim ,I have no idea on the actual colour of these helmets and welcome all comments / information, as I do not want to buy an incorrect example.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Jim. As noted, not my area. Your expertise in this area is worth 1000% more than what little I know or recite from Ken's book.

Scott: As noted, Frank just put one up for sale!

Scott, I think Frank's is 1000% real, a very nice example. Jim G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast