Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"

Article about: Hi all, Bought this helmet not too recently ago on ebay as a post war overpainted helmet (see last two pics) As I finally got it, the box was already half torn open! Then I went to removing

Default EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"

Hi all,
    Bought this helmet not too recently ago on ebay as a post war overpainted helmet (see last two pics)
    As I finally got it, the box was already half torn open!
    Then I went to removing the paint.

Paint removal process:

For the outside I used a hammer and after that some turpentine to remove a thin coat of black paint over the original paint.
    The inside paint was very stubborn unfortunately, but I got there in the end.
    The outside still retains all of the rough finish and the decal was not damaged during the whole endeavour.
    Needless to say, I was very shocked when I saw the decals
    But even more when I saw the inscription on the front.

The helmet itself:

This helmet has 1943 dated components, liner is a pig leather size 56 B&C Litzmannstadt 1943 and the split pins are S(pine tree)C 1943.
    The chinstrap is shortened at the long end, probably because it broke there, but the 13 holes are still there, no markings visible though.
    The buckle is aluminium but the studs are steel.
    To my knowledge the decals are the typical bordered EF Polizei decals.
    After the German surrender, the occupiers were tasked with decentralising and democratising the civil services (police, fire departments etc.)
    The British formed communal fire departments and reused old equipment, like this M42, on the internet I found one similar helmet with the same inscription, that one is an M34 with the inscription hand painted on, not stenciled.
    This is probably one of very few remaining helmets like this.

Let me know what you think of the helmet!
    I personally really like it and especially the story it tells.

Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"   EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"  

EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"   EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"  

EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"   EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"
    P
    Many

More pictures.
    Also, this helmet came from around Hannover in Germany which was in the middle of the British occupation zone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"   EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"  

EF64 M42 ex-DD Police "Civil Fire Service Feuerwehr"  

Nice save Luis, and nice history too. You've done well.
    Nick

TWS
    ?

Interesting piece of history. Both wartime and immediate post-war.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thanks Nick and TWS.
    And yeah, that's what I really like about this one.
    Luis

Also the lot number is 1593 with the 3 stamped backwards.

Very nice Luis! It amazes me what historical treasures lay beneath post war painted helmets sometimes. You have done a great job as usual and a very comprehensive write up.

Well done,
    Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Very nice Luis! It amazes me what historical treasures lay beneath post war painted helmets sometimes. You have done a great job as usual and a very comprehensive write up.

Well done,
    Andy
    Thanks Andy!
    Yeah definitely, I have found some pretty nice things beneath post war paint
    Always best to check if there is something worth saving before picking up the wire wheel on the power drill and going at it
    Luis

Under postwarpaint you can find real treasures
    BR
    Bavarian

Thinking about it, I recall having seen a similar helmet before, though that had something about police stenciled on the front, but I can't remember what the thread about it was called, I think it was also a DD Polizei helmet.
    If anyone knows that thread, put a link to that in here.
    Also, if anyone else has a similar helmet to the one I posted above, please show!
    Luis