Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ever seen a Nazi Helmet w/ bullet hole?

Article about: I picked this up at a Russian swap meet. Anyone seen this before? Thanks!

?

Default Re: Ever seen a Nazi Helmet w/ bullet hole?

Lol...could be , "Retreat"!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Quote by relicz View Post
    Or fence post target practice.
    Or snipers bait

Cheers

?

Quote by langemarck View Post
    not a kill shot IMO. A bullet would never follow one straith line trough the helmet with a human head still in it? just my thoughts.
    Iím surprised that the exit hole isnít much bigger Ė a lead slug must become very deformed after penetrating a steel helmet and Iíd imagine that it would often start tumbling in its flight due to its now deformed shape and further deceleration as it goes through the wearerís head. A lot of the relic helmets shown on this forum seem to have huge chunks taken out by the exit of the projectile..

?

Well it's actually not really a lead slug, but a jacketed projectile. Contrary to hunting ammo, military ammo is hard and pointed. Not designed for expansion. A 7.92 Mauser or a 7.62X54R round is less prone to tumble than 5.56 in example. My old G3 and MG62(MG42) would easily penetrate the armor of a M113 at 100 meters and still create havoc on the inside

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Well it's actually not really a lead slug, but a jacketed projectile. Contrary to hunting ammo, military ammo is hard and pointed. Not designed for expansion. A 7.92 Mauser or a 7.62X54R round is less prone to tumble than 5.56 in example. My old G3 and MG62(MG42) would easily penetrate the armor of a M113 at 100 meters and still create havoc on the inside

Regards, Lars
    Lars, you are of course correct about the jacket over the lead inner, but donít rounds still become quite distorted when they penetrate a still harder material? Although it is long time ago, Iím sure I can recall picking up quite distorted .303 rounds around military firing ranges.

Regards, Philip

?

Of course they deform. I just don't think a helmet and a scull will be much of a match for the rounds mentioned above Ballistics is a complex topic. Projectiles will do the strangest things at times

Cheers mate

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Ballistics is a complex topic. Projectiles will do the strangest things at times

Especially the (in)famous 'magic bullet' of 22.11.1963! (see Single bullet theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

?

LOL. I know what you mean The shooter would also have had to extremely fast with the bolt action and sight alignment. Just one of those things you just know is not possible...

Cheers

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    Lars, you are of course correct about the jacket over the lead inner, but donít rounds still become quite distorted when they penetrate a still harder material? Although it is long time ago, Iím sure I can recall picking up quite distorted .303 rounds around military firing ranges.

Regards, Philip
    Not forgetting it could have been a rifle calibre armour piercing round!..
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    Especially the (in)famous 'magic bullet' of 22.11.1963! (see Single bullet theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    back... and to the left

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast