Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Evidence of HJ decal use?

Article about: Hey all. Just saw these posted in a Facebook group I’m a part of. Forgive me if this is old news and/or a widely circulated photo. I have not seen this before. Maybe others haven’t as well?

Default Evidence of HJ decal use?

Hey all. Just saw these posted in a Facebook group I’m a part of. Forgive me if this is old news and/or a widely circulated photo. I have not seen this before.

Maybe others haven’t as well? Is there other evidence out there? In all the comments I’ve read prior I adopted the stance this decal was not used like this. Or perhaps just never with a lufty above?

Interesting transitional configuration. By looks of uniform (shoulderboards) I assume pre-war when photo was taken? (As opposed to late war helmet recycling)

Take it easy on me Schwerpunkt haha
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Evidence of HJ decal use?   Evidence of HJ decal use?  

Last edited by MilitariaMatt; 11-03-2019 at 02:24 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Evidence of HJ decal use?
    P
    Many

Matt,

An interesting photo which I have not seen before,, Perhaps an original.. With that said there are a few books that have helmets with HJ decals on them, and the uses were varied. In one book titled "The HJ" Volume 2 by John Angolia, HJ Male Auxiliary to the Luftwaffe were issued helmets and I quote... "During alerts and actual engagements, personnel wore various pattern steel helmets, the most common of which was the standard pattern Luftwaffe with Luftwaffe national emblem on the left side. A variety of insignia and helmet styles, especially among the non-German personnel, were commonly encountered."

The photo you posted is obviously not a Luftwaffe helmet but I believe that even late in the war these earlier transitional helmets were readily available to protect the wearers in whatever duties they were pressed into, Flak Helpers, etc..

The next reference that I will quote from is titled "Defending the Reich" by David Littlejohn. In this spectacular book there is photographic evidence of the HJ decal being worn on lightweight fire protection helmets as well as M34 square dip helmets which at one time were police helmets that the police decal was painted over and the HJ diamond applied over it.

I can't comment on the particular context of the HJ member wearing the transitional helmet, perhaps it was earlier in the war or later,, not sure, but you asked if there was evidence of the decal being seen on other helmets...

Hope this helps

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Evidence of HJ decal use?   Evidence of HJ decal use?  

Evidence of HJ decal use?  

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Matt,

An interesting photo which I have not seen before,, Perhaps an original.. With that said there are a few books that have helmets with HJ decals on them, and the uses were varied. In one book titled "The HJ" Volume 2 by John Angolia, HJ Male Auxiliary to the Luftwaffe were issued helmets and I quote... "During alerts and actual engagements, personnel wore various pattern steel helmets, the most common of which was the standard pattern Luftwaffe with Luftwaffe national emblem on the left side. A variety of insignia and helmet styles, especially among the non-German personnel, were commonly encountered."

The photo you posted is obviously not a Luftwaffe helmet but I believe that even late in the war these earlier transitional helmets were readily available to protect the wearers in whatever duties they were pressed into, Flak Helpers, etc..

The next reference that I will quote from is titled "Defending the Reich" by David Littlejohn. In this spectacular book there is photographic evidence of the HJ decal being worn on lightweight fire protection helmets as well as M34 square dip helmets which at one time were police helmets that the police decal was painted over and the HJ diamond applied over it.

I can't comment on the particular context of the HJ member wearing the transitional helmet, perhaps it was earlier in the war or later,, not sure, but you asked if there was evidence of the decal being seen on other helmets...

Hope this helps

Smitty
    Wow Rakkasan thank you for the added knowledge again! I’ve saved those images. Definitely broadens my horizons. Happy to have hopefully contributed something interesting with this thread.

This one is also in a book - recent publication - Just goes to show you - never say never (This is a DJ photo)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Evidence of HJ decal use?  

Quote by oberhaig View Post
    This one is also in a book - recent publication - Just goes to show you - never say never (This is a DJ photo)
    Indeed , never say never. The problem us collectors are facing is how to prove the never if one pops up from a trustworthy source like the woodwork.
    If it is a decal we can compare it to existing decals with the USB microscope , if it is paint it will be very tough to defend.