Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Example of Why to Be Careful on Ebay!!!

Article about: These sellers are only interested in making money. Buy a helmet for \\$150, tart it up a bit and then sell it for three times the amount originally paid. It is 'buyer beware' on ebay - you rea

Default Example of Why to Be Careful on Ebay!!!

I came across this helmet while searching Ebay. It has been listed at a Buy It Now price of $305 USD. The kicker is, I sold this exact helmet (shell only) several weeks ago on Ebay. That quickly the buyer installed three split pins, liner bands and a junk liner and relisted it at $305. The item description is almost cut and pasted from mine. Granted, the seller never says the liner is original, but he doesnt say it is a repro either, just that it may not be original to the liner bands. I know for certain it's not original to the shell. The paint is black post war paint with no indications of decals beneath. To close it out, he is selling it under a different user name than was used to purchase it from me. The purpose of this thread was not to bash the seller, as the seller can do whatever he pleases, and my transaction went smoothly. The purpose was to show newer helmet collectors just how dangerous Ebay can be with helmets and their originality, and the misleading item descriptions. I know this helmet is not the only example, but it's an example that I have first hand knowledge of. I hope this helps collectors and saves someone from making a $300 mistake. Good luck helmet hunting!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Example of Why to Be Careful on Ebay!!!   Example of Why to Be Careful on Ebay!!!  

Example of Why to Be Careful on Ebay!!!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Example of Why to Be Careful on Ebay!!!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Example of Why to Be Careful on Ebay!!!

Thanks for posting. You really need to know what your doing on Ebay. It's definitely a minefield!

Luke

?

Personally, I think you have a responsibility to contact the seller as you have dealt with him previously, you are showing this as an example of the possible scams that are being offered on E -bay, and attempting to warn off newer collectors but your example is only being shown on this forum, not on a general public forum therefore some poor soul will be fooled out of hard earned money, also you stated that his description is near word for word as yours, doesnt that stick in your throat, it would me, this seller is attempting a fraud and one that you know you can prove, i think a quiet word in his ear about removing the helmet from E-bay or his scam will be reported should be a course of action, especially as it appears you feel strongly against this

totally agree with dave,the problem is and this is only my opinion from personal experiences,ebay seem to either not bothered at all about the situation or they seem to like the crooks because there always defending them but dont ask me why this seems to be case,one guy in the UK been reported by fellow forum member 3 times but still trading under original ebay name and enjoying every moment of robbing people blind,can't see things changing in the near future,my lesson never pay too much on there and then that way the sting is a lot less,all we can do at the forum is keep posting pics before the auction ends,and hopefully save some poor soles from certain doom,cheers dave.

?

eBay/PayPal make a certain percentage on each sale. 10-15% I hear. So 1000$ sale is 100-150$ for them.

Nitram

thats right nitram and thats why there still selling because thats where the big money is,so removing them will make it un-profitible,so instead they hit the small buyers & sellers instead,that way it appears that something is getting done,well sort of done,just looks good at the end of the day.dave.

I must admit I sell some things on eBay but I'm not a huge fan. It's just a somewhat easy way to sell junk around the house. I'm not a fan of their huge fees. Especially how the percentage of fees go up as the sale price goes up. And to all concerned, its not that I didn't want to contact the seller, it's that I haven't had the chance to do so. I'm hoping to do that today during lunch break. It bothers me greatly that he is not only using my description but also being vague in his description of the liner bands and liner. I know this Pieces together helmet would not fool most of us here, bur since i belong to this forum i figured it was a good place to start should newer collectors be looking. I'll let you all know how it goes if he responds.

well said that man.dont now how some of them sleep at night,as long as you know your stuff and dont bid stupidly then it can quite a reasonible site to buy on,good thread by the way,dave

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    well said that man.dont now how some of them sleep at night,as long as you know your stuff and dont bid stupidly then it can quite a reasonible site to buy on,good thread by the way,dave
    Thanks Dave. We talk a lot on this forum about the pros and cons of eBay, and I thought this would be a good thread and example for everyone, considering I have the first hand knowledge of the lid. He didn't put a lot of effort into fixing up the helme to make it convincing so I think this is not the first time he has done this. What a pity.

here's a example for you,i sold a m1 front seam swivel looped lid made up with repro chinstraps from j murry44(not sure if thats right)anyway and mocked up with 3rd division and C.O STRIPE etc,a week later there's my chinstraps on another so-called original lid that went for £300 plus i was in two minds once the feedback was left to contact the buyer and break the bad news but in the end i left well alone,really dont need the grief,but thats just one example from a seller who has repeatedly been doing this for over 2 years that i know of,i laugh at the positive feedback thats always left,some people have more money than sense im afraid and are too willing to believe everything there told,so learn your stuff not the story,here endith the lesson,dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast