Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn

Article about: Insults have no place in this forum. This is a first and final warning on the subject. Cheers, Ade.

Default Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn

(strictly militaria)on ebay uk there is a very exiting helmet with what appears to be a cut down cover of old zeltbahn, and chickenwire .It appears a good one.The facinating thing is the guy said it might be ss,but as we know the ss didnt have the splinter cover so i would rule that out.The wire is so well on ,i can see the problem of not disturbing it so the decal if any is hidden.Trying to open the wire may break it as it would be brittle .I think its a good one ,but i cant help wondering what underneath the zeltbahn/?It looks like a real old veteran of ww2 ,and has seen much action.(1904237522920.ps i would love this in my collection,lv
    Last edited by LAS VEGAS; 07-28-2010 at 10:53 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn

Thanks nick d for putting the pictures on,LV

Interesting lid. Be good to here what the big guns say about this one. I know very, very little about this configuration on a helmet, I'm still learning but this looks quite convincing to me. The rust on the chicken wire and the fading on the zeltbahn type cover look consistant with age related wear to me .... but again I am by no means an expert. Here are some more diagnostic photo's of the helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn   Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn  

Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn   Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn  

Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn   Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn  

Exiting chicken wire, and zeltbahn  

The button on the rear of the helmet cover appears to be the same type found on Wehrmacht bread bags.

How comes the wire is heavilly rusted, and the zelt is not
    An interesting combination, but given the state of the wire, I would say it was a bad helmet, a put together at best

the twists on the chicken wire looks to change direction.....i maybe wrong but im sure i read somewhere on this forum that was a bad sign as european wire of that period was constructed with a twist only in one direction......ignore me if im wrong

?

Im looking at the liner and the wear inside looks inconsistent with the liner ring and pins, also rust has a very corrosive action on cloth especially over this period of time, im not 100% on this one

Quote by lee edwards View Post
    the twists on the chicken wire looks to change direction.....i maybe wrong but im sure i read somewhere on this forum that was a bad sign as european wire of that period was constructed with a twist only in one direction......ignore me if im wrong
    Good eye! It does appear that the wire twist pattern does change direction, something that I consider to be a deal breaker. Original examples of this configuration i.e. wire and zeltbahn cloth, must be exceedingly rare. I haven't ever come across one in the flesh. Two have shown up forums today! The other is on GHW. Both have some of the hardware from the cover, and both with the same questionable wear pattern that John mentioned, rusty wire and little staining on the cloth. The twist of the wire changes direction on them, and both have iffy liners as well. I am fearful that another little cottage industry has sprung up, and would caution those who are offered these rare gems to be wary. Jim G.
    Last edited by helmet2id; 07-28-2010 at 01:38 PM.

?

all i can say is the seller has been buying alot of german helmets & helmet parts & he's been registered since 2006 with no sales till now & his very first item is a rare one ??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast