Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A factory second? ......you be the judge

Article about: This is being sold as a factory mis-strike. ( a helmet that has torn in the forming process ) As a toolmaker I can say that this is true - the tear on the edge is indicative of what can happ

Default A factory second? ......you be the judge

This is being sold as a factory mis-strike. ( a helmet that has torn in the forming process )

As a toolmaker I can say that this is true - the tear on the edge is indicative of what can happen in a deep drawing process like this if the platen has insufficient drawing oil on it and a tear occurs.

Is it collectable? - probably it is for the helmet collector who has everything else ...... hint hint Mr B

BUT, is it legitimate from the TR era .... or a Chinese / Indian copy? How could we tell?
    And how has a piece of scrap survived 70 years? ...... it beggars belief! With no direct provenance I would forever question it's legitimacy.

But I thought you would like to see it anyway because this is how helmets were made .....
    Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A factory second? ......you be the judge   A factory second? ......you be the judge  

A factory second? ......you be the judge   A factory second? ......you be the judge  

A factory second? ......you be the judge   A factory second? ......you be the judge  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A factory second? ......you be the judge
    P
    Many

?

Too hard to say for sure Dan, but I'm going with a Chinese/Indian failure.
    The 2 crease/folds on the front visor are strange to me, the tear makes sense due to lack of drawing oil.
    I can't say I would want this personally, without provenance of it's origin.

Brad.

I saw this on ebay not long ago, I thought about the color of the rust and how it was still so shiny in other areas.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

?

Yeah........ok. No thanks Dan, I'd rather die.

Brad nailed it IMO.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    This is being sold as a factory mis-strike. BUT, is it legitimate.... or a Chinese / Indian copy? How could we tell? With no direct provenance I would forever question it's legitimacy.
    Cheers, Dan
    Yes Brad nailed it but I owned the hammer.
    Last edited by Danmark; 05-09-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

It'd be great if you could get somebody to analyse the steel!..

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Yes Brad nailed it but I held the hammer.
    You got the hammer Dan, but I'll be buggered if I'm gonna hold the nail, lol

Brad

Maybe its an extremely rare, previously unseen pattern of helmet with the corks and strings missing from around the edge...

Quote by Lidman View Post
    Too hard to say for sure Dan, but I'm going with a Chinese/Indian failure.
    The 2 crease/folds on the front visor are strange to me, the tear makes sense due to lack of drawing oil.
    I can't say I would want this personally, without provenance of it's origin.

Brad.
    I tend to agree.

I know that this has been shown before, but if you look at 0.42 you can see that the flanges are are just a little better than the one that you have shown.

THE GERMAN HELMET - YouTube

Cheers
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast