Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

A fake on ebay - but people are getting caught!

Article about: OK, before you mods kill this thread because its "Ebay Junk" please hear my case. This helmet is due to finish shortly on Ebay Australia and I have watched it rise from a modest st

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Reputable dealers ? They are all crooks. If you don't know what you are buying you will get burned by any of them.
    may be true now, but when i started collecting in the early 90s prior to the internet pulling us all together, antique dealers of any sort lived or died by their reputation.

my first stahlhelm, a m42 luftwaffe single decal was purchased in 1995 from a dealer who ran an antique store of his own buying/selling in the back of his milsurp store in ventura california. solid bloke, originally from liverpool. his word was gold.

second one i got, a minty double decal, was from the house in which it found final resting place after ww2 from Wuerzburg, Germany.

Pretty confident mine are both authentic!

but yeah, it is very good to read about fake spotting, especially since the internet has created a market for this sort of thing which simply didnt exist 20-25 years ago when antique collecting was mostly a word of mouth and local affair.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Quote by glennsche View Post
    may be true now, but when i started collecting in the early 90s prior to the internet pulling us all together, antique dealers of any sort lived or died by their reputation.

my first stahlhelm, a m42 luftwaffe single decal was purchased in 1995 from a dealer who ran an antique store of his own buying/selling in the back of his milsurp store in ventura california. solid bloke, originally from liverpool. his word was gold.

second one i got, a minty double decal, was from the house in which it found final resting place after ww2 from Wuerzburg, Germany.

Pretty confident mine are both authentic!

but yeah, it is very good to read about fake spotting, especially since the internet has created a market for this sort of thing which simply didnt exist 20-25 years ago when antique collecting was mostly a word of mouth and local affair.
    They still live or die with their reputation but the militaria world is very corrupt. I have not seen a dealer sell 100% trustworthy stuff for as a long as I collect and with the recent champagne rune scam that was unearthed it proves that even those we held in high regard are part of the problem.
    The dealers turned book writers and the book writers turned dealer. All rotten to the core.
    Even the sponsors of this very forum.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123