Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fake m42 NS66 helmet?

Article about: Hello All, I've recently acquired this M42 NS66 Helmet with lotnumber 6821, and I'm unsure whether the Helmet is real or a fake. I cannot seem to find any info on the lotnumber 6821 (Normall

Personally, a few years of studying lids. In person and on the forums. When I started I knew next to nothing, and now I am by no means an expert but can hold my own I think. There is no fast answer in this field, the intricacies can be many and varied. Even the very best in the field can trip up occasionally too.

This is a fantastic place to start. Buy a copy at

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  30.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the help.

I've finally managed to get hold of Ken's book, and I can now fully understand why this is one of the best sources to consult when starting out. Thanks for guiding me to it.

It has been an invaluable good guide to collecting M35,M40 and M42 Helmets.

One thing I personally was missing a little though was the same level of information on the specific shell size and manufacturer in the individual picture descriptions of the transitional Helmets, and I have yet to find a good source for such information.

Good job on picking one up, he recently did a reprint so prices are sensible. I paid a lot more for mine when it was out of print lol....

Ludwig Baer did a book some years ago covering nearly everything from 1916 to 1945, that one would compliment Ken's book nicely. I still need to get the Baer book myself. It's known as 'The Bible' to collectors

Thanks! I've had the opportunity to look through Ludwig Baers "The History of the German Combat Helmets 1916-1945" but it was the 1985 edition, so I'm not sure whether it is really comparable to a newer edition, but I thought I'd share my impression of it anyway.

It definately has some vast helmet knowledge, ranging from very specific liner construction methods and the composition of raw materials used etc. to covering protype Helmets and other hatd obtainable production facts.

Since there's no table of contents and no index, the book really does suffer as a quick reference book, at least in my opinion.

I think the best way to approach the Book, is to read it from A-Z and make sure to take notes as you go. That way I'm sure the real treasures of Baer's work will shine through.

For me personally, I'll certainly lookout for it at a very decent price, but for now I'm not really sure it contains the practical answers I'm looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12