Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

First M42 stahlhelm

Article about: by helmetone The bottom line is being happy with whatever you have. If you like this post war repainted shell and want to restore it in some way, than go for it. It's not a helmet for me, bu

Default Re: First M42 stahlhelm

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    There's not much to learn from a helmet that doesn't even have the original paint anymore , if you think this helmet provides a learning experience you are sorely mistaken I'm afraid.
    There are two paths you can follow as a collector , those in actual good and complete condition or ground finds. Both paths have fakes , junk and A+ grade collectible helmets. Yes even ground dugs helmets can be really interesting and have decals , a liner etc... much more interesting than a post war fireschutz used helmet without a liner and a decal. This one doesn't fit in any of the two paths.

I crinch when I read how much people want to make helmets like this into something they are not , the penultimate combat helmet.
    Someone can love them , may love them but it is what it is. A post war overpainted shell. Its only link with the past is the steel and the shape.
    Yes it's cheap and there's a reason for it.
    Saying that you a value this equally to a complete untouched example is just ludicrous and absurd.
    I am by no way saying that i would value a relic more than a complete example. All i was saying is that they both have equal historical value. You could have a fantastic, 100% original helmet complete with liner and SS decals, but have no history to go with it. Or, you could have a lesser complete helmet but know the provenance, that to me is more valuable. The only real thing that links any helmet with the past is the provenance (ok, and decals) and it is not different in a relic helmet. I dont buy items becuase they are more valuable, i buy them because i like them. I don't think anyone on this thread has stated this is the "penultimate" helmet, even the thread starter recognises its not the best item and it could be upgraded at some point. I must also add that any helmet could be the penultimate helmet in anyones collection. There will always be a "better helmet out there" so aslong as people are happy with what's in their collection thats all that matters.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First M42 stahlhelm
    P
    Many

The cycle often goes like this......

1) You hanker for a German helmet but the asking prices scare you off!! ....... it costs what???????
    2) So you find a shell that's been repainted ( still, its ORIGINAL 1940's steel ) and it cost under $100 ......yippee, you are over the moon!
    3) You decide to strip and "restore" it ( and buy an original liner but they too are pricey ) so you settle for a repro.
    4) You do a bang-on job of it and all's well with the world - at last you have a "genuine" German helmet and are happy as Larry .........for a while.
    5) It eventually bugs you and you wish it were an untouched original - your friends may like what you've done but you know the truth and an urge is slowly growing inside - and so the cycle recommences ....... and once more you ache for an original helmet.

The aura that surrounds a genuine item is intoxicating - NONE can resist!! ........ ( insert maniacal laughter here )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    The cycle often goes like this......
    1) You hanker for a German helmet but the asking prices scare you off!! ....... it costs what???????
    2) So you find a shell that's been repainted ( still, its ORIGINAL 1940's steel ) and it cost under $100 ......yippee, you are over the moon!
    3) You decide to strip and "restore" it ( and buy an original liner but they too are pricey ) so you settle for a repro.
    4) You do a bang-on job of it and all's well with the world - at last you have a "genuine" German helmet and are happy as Larry .........for a while.
    5) It eventually bugs you and you wish it were an untouched original - your friends may like what you've done but you know the truth and an urge is slowly growing inside - and so the circle recommences ....... and once more you ache for an original helmet.

The aura that surrounds a genuine item is intoxicating - NONE can resist!! ........ ( insert maniacal laughter here )
    I cant argue with that. I cannot wait to get my first complete item, however as a student, i can only afford to stick to my relics for now. But they are just as important to me. And yes, one day i may pass them on to fund for my nice complete helmet (i hope). I will always like the relics though.

?

Nicely said Danmark and edelweiss123!

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    I am by no way saying that i would value a relic more than a complete example. All i was saying is that they both have equal historical value. You could have a fantastic, 100% original helmet complete with liner and SS decals, but have no history to go with it. Or, you could have a lesser complete helmet but know the provenance, that to me is more valuable. The only real thing that links any helmet with the past is the provenance (ok, and decals) and it is not different in a relic helmet. I dont buy items becuase they are more valuable, i buy them because i like them. I don't think anyone on this thread has stated this is the "penultimate" helmet, even the thread starter recognises its not the best item and it could be upgraded at some point. I must also add that any helmet could be the penultimate helmet in anyones collection. There will always be a "better helmet out there" so aslong as people are happy with what's in their collection thats all that matters.
    You're contradicting yourself because you just said exactly that in a previous post ,also I am solely talking about historical value just to be clear.
    This forum is not about being happy with what you have , it's about being happy that what you have is a representative original piece of history. That's what us collectors are after.
    Going for anything less or making something less into something it is not is detrimental for what the people running this forum are trying to achieve.

You talk about provenance beating quality (really provenance against any untouched Heer , SS , Polizei or Kriegsmarine helmet ?) , sorry again I don't agree and I must say neither have I seen any provenance from the two lids you define as "the" combat helmet.

The reason for my rant is simple , I hate to see the forum getting taken over by people who don't put things in perspective and who seem bent on dissing the 100% authentic German helmet in favor of what's posted here in this topic.

It's not about you and what you like here. This forum should feature the German combat helmet , the authentic wartime examples.

?

Well,I suppose you should ban me from the forum then huh!?

Quote by Ripper View Post
    Well,I suppose you should ban me from the forum then huh!?
    They have a forum here where your helmet would fit better , the restoration forum.

?

Ahaa ok.

I haven't "dissed" the 100% authentic helmet, i would love to have one. However, we are not all in a fortunate position to just go out an buy one. I have no intention in doing my relics up and turning them into something they are not, they are a relic and that's what they are. The reason for me becoming defensive over this matter is simply that everyone wants to collect different things and has the right to do so without them being damned by other members just because they themselves wouldnt buy it. We all value your opinions regarding the authenticity of items, and appreciate you taking the time to comment and express your views. However, if the only view you can express is one of you saying don't know why people collect helmets like "these 2" then i dont believe it is valuable nor constructive.

Honestly, i don't see the point in arguing this point any further. You are missing the point. I have never said it was THE helmet, it is A helmet which i like, value and am happy with, just as i am sure ripper is with his.

The bottom line is being happy with whatever you have. If you like this post war repainted shell and want to restore it in some way, than go for it. It's not a helmet for me, but as was said, not everyone can drop a grand on a 100% helmet. Do te beat you can restoring it and enjoy it. You can always invest in a good helmet in the future. They aren't going anywhere, but the prices might go up

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast