MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

First M42 stahlhelm

Article about: by helmetone The bottom line is being happy with whatever you have. If you like this post war repainted shell and want to restore it in some way, than go for it. It's not a helmet for me, bu

?

Default Re: First M42 stahlhelm

Ok then thanks Ripper, lets keep it civil gents and on topic. ;-)

I'm off for most of the evening now so play nice lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First M42 stahlhelm
    P
    Many

He only said gents.......Just kidding I'l behave.

Any idea where you will get the liner from ripper?

My first German steel helmet was a post war reused Czech example -bought for £1.50- and as others have said, I moved up from that and got better examples as time and money allowed, so I see no problem with the thread starter as a first helmet and you never know you might be lucky when you strip the paint, as a friend of mine had a post war painted black lid which he stripped and it had an original SS decal under the paint.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

this shell is a post war repaint has no rivits and liner but intresting it might have its original paint under it. but for me i would hold a while and see if a war time m42 comes up for sale, you just dont no somthing at a good price might pop up.
    ive had a go at restoring a helmet for what you spend on getting paint decal so on its not worth it. and you always no its not just right. i saved or hid money from the missus for 8 mounths to get my first real german helmet and still have it and always will.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    My first German steel helmet was a post war reused Czech example -bought for £1.50- and as others have said, I moved up from that and got better examples as time and money allowed, so I see no problem with the thread starter as a first helmet and you never know you might be lucky when you strip the paint, as a friend of mine had a post war painted black lid which he stripped and it had an original SS decal under the paint.
    Can you imagine the excitement of seeing that !!

Right i am off on Feepay again, any black helmets for sale !!! .......only jesting

?

Well i striped the paint (it only took 4-5 hours ),and this is what I found underneath,lots and lots of grey paint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First M42 stahlhelm   First M42 stahlhelm  

First M42 stahlhelm   First M42 stahlhelm  

First M42 stahlhelm  

Ooh .... that looks like a shipboard grey under the rim ( especially with the name in black ) so this might have been a KM helmet in its former life?
    Very good paint removal and a nice save!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Ooh .... that looks like a shipboard grey under the rim ( especially with the name in black ) so this might have been a KM helmet in its former life?
    Very good paint removal and a nice save!

Cheers, Dan
    It looks that way!......

You have done a good job on that, it looks really good now and will look good when you get a liner in it IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks guys! And i sure hope Danmark is right about the helmet being KM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast