Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

German Helmet Depot

Article about: Has anyone ever dealt with "German Helmet Depot"? Thanks, William

Hi all, I have never seen this site before but have just had a look and it seems fine to me with some very nice helmets. The Luftwaffe one in question is a lovely example, named, great patina and a nicely dated chinstrap. The liner pins may have been changed as they do appear to be in better order than the surrounding shells paint work but for the money being asked I think it is good value. Leon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Helmet Depot
    P
    Many

Cheap as chips, got to be worth a grand if it's worth a dollar. If I had it spare I'd pick that up today but I've got a couple of others in the works.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I'm still holding out for a certain DD Austrian example... (this is Doug's weekly reminder )
    So we are each bugging Doug about a transitional lol.... pincer movement, we must coordinate via pm. Angriff! Zusammen bleiben, schnell schnell!

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    So we are each bugging Doug about a transitional lol.... pincer movement, we must coordinate via pm. Angriff! Zusammen bleiben, schnell schnell!
    Ha! This is funny. As long as we aren't bugging him about the same tranny. If that's the case than we have a problem

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Ha! This is funny. As long as we aren't bugging him about the same tranny. If that's the case than we have a problem
    Let the bidding begin at $18,000.

Quote by DougB View Post

Let the bidding begin at $18,000.
    Not cool, man, not cool. lol

?

Can you experts define this term reissue what actually step by step happened? Would not a camo helmet then be called reissue. Wasn't a helmet first issued to a soldier minus the chinstrap (strap given separate as part of other equipment) worn/used then revision orders are received by the Korps,,what happened then?

Eric

?

Quote by Unterstand View Post
    Can you experts define this term reissue what actually step by step happened? Would not a camo helmet then be called reissue. Wasn't a helmet first issued to a soldier minus the chinstrap (strap given separate as part of other equipment) worn/used then revision orders are received by the Korps,,what happened then?

Eric
    I thought you were the expert?

I can't define the term reissue any better than some guy named Webster:

re·is·sue [ree-ish-oo or, esp. British, -is-yoo]
    noun
    1. something that is issued again

Ergo, why on earth would a camo be called a reissue? I think it is pretty clear what a reissue is unless you are trying to make a point here that (as usual) nobody will understand?

If you are talking about Korps only being issued revision orders then I think might be stuck in WW1.

So to keep it as simple as possible the way I understand it, in collector terms, helmet was worn, helmet was reissued (see terminology above) for a variety of reasons including refurbishment (for that term please consult http://dictionary.reference.com/browse) and sometimes repainted and/or redecaled and sometimes not.

What looks like multiple layers of paint and decals under the camo paint indicates to me that the helmet may have been a reissued helmet. Or might not have been. Who knows.

Eric with all due respect, for the life of me this is another one of your posts where you seem to be trying to either make a point or conversation by way of a veiled passive aggressive post that is part question, part statement, part speculation, and part cross-examination. I have no clue what you are trying to say half the time and your casual use of punctuation and proper grammar makes deciphering your posts that much more difficult.

Not sure what you mean Eric? A reissue means to me the helmet was put back into equipment stock and probably would not go back to the same soldier again, which would seem to me to be an unnecessary logistical pain in the arse. It would be refinished with a new coat of paint and decals if necessary, and maybe new leather work if it was sufficiently worn out. Very often they are M35's that were given a coat of the new 1940 spec textured matt paint to being them up to current standards. Looking at them some look to have been done at a facility with limited equipment and generic 'reissue' non factory specific decals, while some have the paint finish you would expect from a more elaborate facility with professional spray guns etc. You will come across terms such as depot reissue and factory reissue. These would then go back into stores to be given to a new soldier. A camo would be done in the field at various scales from the individual doing it himself with a rag or brush, or at a unit level where everybody hands them in when they are near to a convenient second line facility like a vehicle workshop. A lot of camos are sprayed with the same paints and spray guns as armoured vehicles. These lids would go back to their owners shortly after and not go back into quartermaster's stock to be 're-issued' to a new soldier.

?

Thanks for the reply KradSpan personally I've always found it confusing at some point I'd like to find out more on the period logistics.

Cheers
    Eric

I got my first taste of trying to buy on line. I expressed interest in the helmet and two days later heard back. I thought I accepted his offer and was asking for a Lay a way plan and wrote twice. When I finally heard I was told it was on hold for someone else. I guess you have to be quick and ready to send money right now.

I am sure dealers have tons of e-mails from interested people to try to keep straight plus trying to figure out their best deal and sale. It is not just me they are dealing with. If you are DougB showing interest they probably pay close attention. What a great display. I showed my wife and said that was my plan. She just laughed! Can you believe it? Then she reminded me of some home remodeling projects I need to get to. I will go back to dreaming about an M35 DD Luftwaffe.

William

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast