Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German helmets: fake or not?

Article about: Hello everybody. Just a bit of information; I am not at all an experienced collector but am very interested in beginning. I also collect coleman lanterns, and that' is how this began. I post

Default German helmets: fake or not?

Hello everybody. Just a bit of information; I am not at all an experienced collector but am very interested in beginning. I also collect coleman lanterns, and that' is how this began. I posted an ad on Craigslist saying I would like to buy Coleman lanterns. A guy emailed me with one, and said he found it in a barn in Pennsylvania. He then asked what else i collect and I told him military stuff as well. He told me he found helmets, but didn't know much about them. He then sent me these pictures I have attached and I was blown away. I am waiting to see how much he wants for them, he doesn't know much of them, said he didn't even know they were German. It seems hard to believe though, and I was simply wondering if these are real. I would like to acknowledge that I understand it is difficult to evaluate based on these pictures, which are not ideal, but I really only need the middle evaluated. I have significant doubts about these, but lack proper knowledge to confirm. If someone could give their opinions on the authenticity I would be incredibly grateful. Again I apologize for the pictures, I'm working with what he sent me. Thanks, -EmmittGerman helmets: fake or not?German helmets: fake or not?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German helmets: fake or not?
    P
    Many

Photos are not suitable. You need more detailed photos. At first glance though that SS helmet appears to be bogus. German helmet liners did not include washers as shown in the close up. Caveat emptor! NH

MAP
    ?

You instincts are correct. Pass on these. The SS is indeed a fake. The other is most probably a fake. Only the luftschuzte on the right maybe/might stand a chance.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

^Agreed. Looking like garbage. The fact that the owner says he didn't know they were German is a ridiculously huge red flag. A helmet with a giant swastika on the front? SS runes? NH

Thanks everyone, I will indeed pass. I appreciate the advice.

Very bad.I have been looking at some for some time now and this one is very bad..keep away from it.

MAP
    ?

I hear the early Coleman lanterns are quite valuable. Stick to what you know. Never buy what you don't know. You did well by asking first. Follow this approach until you have developed your own skills and self confidence.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

If you are interested in German helmets it may be better to start with something less desirable like a no-decal Heer or Luftwaffe helmet of which there a quite a few about and they are considerably cheaper. Camo helmets and SS helmets command a high price which this is alluding to be.
    Definitely also worth looking at the posts on this forum too as they have very good advice.
    Nick

looks like ww2 German helmet, that was used post ww2 by Finland. then at some stage dressed up as a fake ss helmet.

Indeed, Finnish rivets, the liner probably is also Finnish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast