Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

german luftshutz steel helmets-Please help w/ info, year, authenticity condition etc.

Article about: Hello, My grandfather was overseas during wwii and since I now live in the house my mom grew up in, a lot of his things are still in the attic. Pretty sure these are genuine, but was wonderi

cduval04
    ?

Question german luftshutz steel helmets-Please help w/ info, year, authenticity condition etc.

Hello,

My grandfather was overseas during wwii and since I now live in the house my mom grew up in, a lot of his things are still in the attic. Pretty sure these are genuine, but was wondering if anyone could confirm, and tell me their variation/year (I looked at the identification sticky but still couldn't really tell) maybe giving me an idea of what I should list them for on ebay. I see luftshutz helmets on ebay ranging from $80 to $350. I don't even know what is considered "good" condition for a helmet that has been through a war and is 70 years old. Any info you can give be would be appreciated. Thanks (pics below)

german luftshutz steel helmets-Please help w/ info, year, authenticity condition etc.

2. # ADS

?

Why on earth would you want to throw away a piece of your family's history by using Flea bay, why not sell them to a proper collector if your adamant that you want to sell, it seems that you are not a collector or even involved in this hobby, I hope I'm wrong but not many here will give you an evaluation for Flea bay, if they don't interest you sell them for a dollar each

I do believe a greeting is in order, so I am glad to be the first to welcome you to the forum!

Second, seeing as how I do not know the details of your situation, I shouldn't judge you for your decision of selling these (which I hope we make you reconsider ), nor should anybody else. I can't talk on selling to a "proper" collector, as I'm not sure on the benefits over ebay.

I can't appraise these, as I'm not experienced in German helmets. I'm not sure you will get an appraisal either. I would love to have them, as would many others here. Most aren't lucky enough to have heirlooms left from our predecessors.

e-bay wont have them because of swastika.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    e-bay wont have them because of swastika.
    I completely forgot about that policy :/

If you DO decide to sell them in the end, I hope the seller knows the name of your grandfather, the one who brought these back. I think things like this are often over-looked, and we forget the little details of an items past. After moving on without prying for as much information as possible, if it often hard to go back and retrieve it. You should give the buyer this information, whether they ask for it or not.

To this day I wish I had remembered the name of the Senior Airman who's BDU's, boots, and flak jacket I have. He was in Haiti for earthquake relief, and was in service during the Gulf War. He's a local vet, so I might be able to track him down now that I think of it.

The point being, objects like these are more than just material. They carry stories with them, and it is up to the owner to make sure those stories are not lost. Please make sure these details to your grandfather's legacy are not lost, even if you do decide to sell them.

Looks like a good Army 1942 model and a good Luftschutz years made would be difficult but wartime as you well know. The M-42 probably made in 42 or the end of 43 as it is a decaled one and decals for the most part were not put on after 43. I would not sell off pieces of family history but would hold on to them but that is just me. You are free to do as you like but I can tell you as experience I have regretted many a sale. timothy

- - ------- - -

?

These are two nice finds that you have from your family. I would hope that you would consider keeping them. But if not this forum would be a could place to sell them. Many of the folks on here from around the world are very good folks and would pay you more than any dealer ever would at a show or flea market. Ebay will yank them off once they see the Swaz.
    What ever you decide thanks for sharing them with us.

Another new comer asking real of fake or asking for prices.to never hear from again.
    chris

The Luftschutz helmet looks awsome!
    Havent seen those sweet wings before.