Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

German M40, good deal for that price?

Article about: Hi all again! i have the chance to buy this german helmet SD from a latvian seller for 250, is not the best conditions, and i'm not an expert in that kind of helmets, (I usually buy relic h

Default Re: German M40, good deal for that price?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The liner looks like a repro?
    Coming from Latvia my guess would be yes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I'd walk away considering the price in relation to condition and the doubts posted by members here that it might not even be all original... I walked away from a similar helmet myself recently, I offered $100 but the seller wanted an extra $50. No deal.

What's that hole in the back btw? I guess the goggle strap came in real handy with regards to that blemish... maybe it's had some kind of post-war farm use or something..

Thank you very much guys! very useful comments like always!

i'm going to let it go, to much price like you said and it's not what i'm really looking for, policei or party helmets is not what i'm looking for (but until we've seen the other side decal did not noticed that)

Thanks!!

Good plan, for 250e or a little more you can score a much nicer lid.

I think the guys have said it all,leave this one as it is not worth having if there are so many questions hanging over it.(original decals?original liner?replacement liner?ground dug?LATVIA!!!?) Leon.

Helmetone has it pretty well nailed, I think. That liner has almost certainly been played with. Definitely does not look original to the piece. And, as has been asked by our Norwegian friend Slados...what the Hell is that huge Hole in the back of it?? I'm going to take a guess here and say that it May have been part of a display that was dismantled and "restored" by putting an old liner into it. The hole may have been to bolt it into the display or hang it from whatever it was assembled with. Kudos to whoever decided to try to save it from whatever it was being used to being part of, but they sure did a lousy job "restoring" it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by slados28 View Post
    What's that hole in the back btw? I guess the goggle strap came in real handy with regards to that blemish... maybe it's had some kind of post-war farm use or something..
    The heat blistering around it makes me think of a oxy torch!!!!! ....... stranger things have happened - and the heat would definitely have affected any liner.
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    The heat blistering around it makes me think of a oxy torch!!!!! ....... stranger things have happened - and the heat would definitely have affected any liner.
    Agree about the heat blistering - Have seen a number of helmets which have had a handle welded on the back and used as a ladle for farm animal's feed.

Definitely a one to give a miss IMO

Chris.

?

An ex post war utility helmet with the handle removed and a bad liner chucked in. Don't waste your time with sellers who dress up helmets who hide details.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12