Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not?

Article about: I just wanted to start a discussion on the so-called 'medic helmet' - you know, the ones that have seemed to turn up in increasing numbers over the last 10 years and which polarize so many c

Default the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not?

I just wanted to start a discussion on the so-called 'medic helmet' - you know, the ones that have seemed to turn up in increasing numbers over the last 10 years and which polarize so many collectors. White with a BIG red cross on them?

Some say they didn't exist during the war ( but photos seem to prove otherwise )

the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not? the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not? the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not? the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not?

Of course this guy used strips of cloth - which I think is quite cool!!

And this one used a FULL cloth cover

But certainly the ones ( most of them ) that we see these day are contrived 'art' helmets.

There are lots of period images showing medics WITHOUT any such helmet - just a plain issued stahlhelm - but you cannot dismiss the painted ones out of hand with photos such as these.

So what are YOUR thoughts? Do you have a helmet that can be proven to be period? ( I don't ) If you do, please show it here - or if you can finger ones that are definitely fake, show us all so we can all learn. Many collectors avoid them like the plague because of the concern over them but I think we have a 'duty of care' for the up and coming generation to name & shame if we can..

Cheers, Dan

( I do NOT own the above images - they were found on the interweb and no copyright information accompanied them. If the ORIGINAL photographer wants them taken down I will oblige ..... )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not?
    P
    Many

Dan...touchy subject. These have been discussed at length by myself & a few of my helmet friends. My opinion is "without definite provenance, stay away"
    I have seen a few examples that would "pass the test"..but always a bit of doubt. There were countless variations we see in period pics, so as collectors, we have nothing to go by to authenticate.
    Medic helmets have been "fabricated" since post war. I myself at 10 years old in 1966 painted a US M1 with lead based oil paint medic circles & red cross & did a fabulous job of it. With 50 years of patina on it (if it survived) might be taken as period done.
    I have access to a few but I don't think it is right to post them here for a critique without the owners blessing.
    There is one here posted by a member in 2012 I saw recently that got "mixed" reviews. It is a navy with a big white circle & red cross on top of the dome. The owner likes it, that's all that matters I guess.
    Personally, I have never been 100% convinced on one. Don't think I ever will.

This one I found in my files from 8 years ago. Do not remember who owned it or what reviews it got. How can anyone, I don't care how "experienced" one claims to be, make a judgement call on this to prove good or bad ? You can't.
    Dan..you be the judge !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not?   the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not?  

the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not?   the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not?  

the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not?   the German "medic Helmet" ..... fact & fiction, frauds or not?  

Last edited by real steel; 07-23-2017 at 05:17 PM.

photos at times can only tell you so much. Some items need to be examined in hand.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Very true Bob.
    But some camos, repaints even in hand, can leave one "scratching his head" as to what one is handling & looking at.
    At those moments...my saying comes into play..."If in doubt, don't buy"

MAP
    ?

I agree David. But these are like the Sirens luring in Odysseus with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck us collectors on a rocky coast.

Personally, to me these are like a Holy Grail and I would be extremely tempted to use any and all rationalizations to convince myself to buy one (like a chicken wire LoL).

Luckily I have never had the opportunity to be tempted.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes, that is what needs to be done. Convince yourself it is good. If you can do that & ignore others opinions usually based on personal preference that they don't like it, by all means go for it !

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Yes, that is what needs to be done. Convince yourself it is good. If you can do that & ignore others opinions usually based on personal preference that they don't like it, by all means go for it !
    Personally, I would ask my crewmates to tie me to the mast like Odysseus....

Only if I found one directly from a vet with period photos of him holding it would I take the plunge....LoL

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Very true Bob.
    But some camos, repaints even in hand, can leave one "scratching his head" as to what one is handling & looking at.
    At those moments...my saying comes into play..."If in doubt, don't buy"
    Words I try to live by (now)... I have one camo that has had equal doubts vs supporters....every time I look at it I wonder....

Which is why I am down to one camo. I have provenance with it going back to the vet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast