Become our sponsor and display your banner here

German Medical Helmet?

Article about: I found this helmet for sale on a website and it is described as a WW2 medical helmet. What do you think? It has the tabs for a neck protector-like a fireman's helmet. What is a reasonable p

?

Default German Medical Helmet?

I found this helmet for sale on a website and it is described as a WW2 medical helmet. What do you think? It has the tabs for a neck protector-like a fireman's helmet. What is a reasonable price?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German Medical Helmet?

Would need to see very close up shots of the decals both outside and interior, but i think Frank , John B or Doug B , and Ade could answer this one better, but it looks the part from here, i can imagine the red cross using this type and using the neck flap when entering bomb damaged buildings etc

these are usually grey not black as black is the color of firemans and police helmets,, never seen a decal like the one in the flange of any red cross helmet,,, could be a red cross helmet as opposed to a medical helmet,,,i.e. a combat medics helmet

?

Don L is one of the experts on these, but provide closeups of all the decals, these are heavily faked.

In my opinion the DRK decal is a repro. The bottom of the shield should come to a point like this one. These decals are heavily faked and many of the repros have rounded bottoms. I haven't seen a decal like the one on the rear of the skirt, and the rounded bottom of the DRK would scare me off. These helmets were sometimes black, and once in a blue moon one surfaces that is green. The liner could have the tabs. They were usually single decal, but sometimes are seen with a tricolor and very infrequently with a party shield, which I have been told means the wearer was in the SS. I have never seen a reverse decal example. As I have already stated the decals on the piece that started this thread are not period in my opinion. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3816.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	195961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3817.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	195960  

Last edited by helmet2id; 04-14-2011 at 12:00 PM.

?

Thanks for your comments. Here are some better resolution photos the seller sent me. Do these photos help? German-Helmets.com has a nice description of this type of helmet. They said that although the pointy decal is more desirable, the round ones were also period produced, but both have been heavily reproed. Since I am in the medical field, I like the helmet. What is a reasonable price to offer, if I assume a repro decal?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_2890.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	195962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_2893.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	195963  

?

It was sold for $400.

Only go for the sharp pointed runes as Jim says.