Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

German Medics Helmet continued

Article about: by gel65 Sorry, I never had a chance to speak with him right now I have been very bogged down with school work and sports. Doug's offer is generous but at the moment I do not have the time t

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    M40 ET = should have a decal , is it there ?
    Red cross = to authenticate 100% crisp clear pictures are required.
    Interior looks good so far.
    Frank I'm thinking it's an M35 with pressed vents vs M40. Should even be a double decal then. I see no reissue paint and no decal exposed where damage at the decal position would show it. That was another small red flag for me and the Red Cross shows no crazing or fading.

The deal with this is you have to be comfortable.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Medics Helmet continued
    P
    Many

I believe that's what this type of wear would be from originally, yes... but I was really referring to the fact that decades of patina is missing surrounding the dome wear --- also there seems to be no age to the bare worn steel on top, looks fresh to me... lending support to my theory that this wear was applied after the age patina was applied (not period).

Again, just my opinion but, to me, it's blatantly obvious from the photos provided.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Frank I'm thinking it's an M35 with pressed vents vs M40. Should even be a DD then. I see no reissue paint and no decal exposed where damage at the decal position would show it. That was another small red flag for me and the Red Cross shows no crazing or fading.

It's clear better photos are required but as you know the tolerances for one of these is very tight.
    My mistake , clearly an M35. Sorry.

?

It's clear better photos are required but as you know the tolerances for one of these is very tight.

edit- posted that without seeing the new better photos. Unfortunately these are worse that the original pics. You want the light on the helmet, your showing us the dark side of the moon. ;-)

The repetitive markings I see are very small 2-3 pronged "hits" in various places. Ones eye can see repetitive tool marking, which is why in hand is best.

Pics make or break a helmet. Something as faked as a medic needs studio quality pics to get valid opinions. As I said based on the pics provided it's a no for me.

Quite simply, you are kicking the living shit out of this helmet with the pics your taking.

Hi Gel65 , i'm not wanting to "rain on your parade" but this is not an original medic's helmet for me either. The wear looks artificial to me also ,I have put some "lines" on your image which highlight the tool marks that I see. These are being faked to a high standard now but 99% of them still show this contrived wear. Sorry , Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Medics Helmet continued  

"Pics make or break a helmet. Something as faked as a medic needs studio quality pics to get valid opinions. As I said based on the pics provided it's a no for me."

"Quite simply, you are kicking the living shit out of this helmet with the pics your taking."

That's it in a nutshell, you're just playing at it Gel, and in the process annoying the guys expressing their considered opinions that you are then not really listening to. It's obvious you love this helmet and are convinced in your own mind it's the real thing. Just buy it and be happy.....You know you want it.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The wear on this helmet is really "over the top" and appears contrived to me, and yet the liner doesn't reflect hard use at all, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by Paul E View Post
    You need to forget ther Vet bringback story , yes the Father may have been a WW2 Vet but that means nothing the Helmet could just be one that the son who is the one selling is saying was brought back by his father as it gives it authentication , the fraudsters of our hobby and there are many ( including the sons / relatives of vets ) will use any story they can to move on a fake.

There are quite a few original White camos posted on the forum so i suggest you compare , particulary the close up's of the paintwork !!

But the bottom line is as Doug says if you like it buy it , but it wouldn't be one for me,

cheers

Paul
    +1 30 to even 20 years ago there were a lot of vets that could tell you where or what they had obtained it is too late in the game for vet stories they are all about gone or too old to remember I know I lost my dad 13 years ago (WW2) vet and he was getting to the point he couldn't remember much of war related. We have now vets kids passing them on so who knows what will turn up. Quite frankly Gel cammo or any type of other paint other than factory FG are a nightmare that Is why I stayed away from them for almost 50 years too easy to get burned and it is terrible today. In the end if you are happy with it go for it as others have said. But I wouldn't keep kicking at all the experienced opinions of members with years of experience by Joe says this and Bill says that. IMO timothy

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    "Pics make or break a helmet. Something as faked as a medic needs studio quality pics to get valid opinions. As I said based on the pics provided it's a no for me."

"Quite simply, you are kicking the living shit out of this helmet with the pics your taking."

That's it in a nutshell, you're just playing at it Gel, and in the process annoying the guys expressing their considered opinions that you are then not really listening to. It's obvious you love this helmet and are convinced in your own mind it's the real thing. Just buy it and be happy.....You know you want it.

Regards, Ned.
    Hi Ned, I just want to say I am not annoyed, Gel feels to me to be an honest collector looking for advice, and not a Pawn Starz profiteer looking to take advantage of a veteran by paying low and selling high.

I really really hope it is the real deal Gel.

I remember the SS-HD helmet I bought at first was poor photos and looked bogus on the forums. It wasn't until he sent it to me and I was able to do a hands on and magnify the decals that I was 100% convinced. New studio quality pictures along with magnification ADM shots I think proved it to the members of various fora it was the real deal.

If you are unable to take better pics, what you might want to do is source a local good collector who can assist with a hands on evaluation and take real good photos of the helmet for you.

If you want I will cover the freight cost there and back to you if you live in the US or Canada, examine it and photograph it for you. I always love an opportunity to examine rare helmets and medic are very rare indeed, hence the very narrow window of authenticity they get in forum discussions.

Doug

I don't know an awful lot about the helmet, but if the Vet was awarded a Purple Cross, I'm taking that he was in the US army, where there many points where a US serviceman could have come into contact with one of these winter camo helmets ?. I know the US forces did fight in places like the Ardennes etc. and I'm guessing axis soldiers did paint there helmets in those stages of the war. But that also begs the question of why and how an soldier would ether find or even kill the man wearing this helmet ?. As this obviously belonged to a member of the German equivalent of the Red Cross, and as far as I'm aware the shooting of members Red Cross both axis and allied was prohibited, however I'm not aware if they where allowed to be taken prisoner. So surely if the vet had indeed shot a memeber of the German red cross would he not have been instantly courtmarialed ? granted he could have simply stumbled upon the helmet, but surely carrying around or even mailing a Red Cross helmet home, he would risk it bieng misinterpreted that he had killed the owner of the helmet, thereby again having consequences. And also I would like to make the point that would it not make sense that the largest area of ware and tear is on the top of the helmet from it bieng rested on the floor, surely coming from a war zone the helmet would see much more use on the soldiers head or even hanging from his belt rather than resting on the floor ?....anyway that was just my thought process on the matter, as I say correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers Stan

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast