MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

German Medics Helmet continued

Article about: by gel65 Sorry, I never had a chance to speak with him right now I have been very bogged down with school work and sports. Doug's offer is generous but at the moment I do not have the time t

?

We'll thanks Doug I did contact Ron R from Wehrmacht awards said that he liked it the price was low and I know the story and the people it came from and took a chance on it the price was low I am not going to sell this I really do appreciate sorry if you feel that I am annoying you I am just in the search of information on it if I get the chance to get it photographed I will thanks everyone for your time and info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Medics Helmet continued
    P
    Many

I would take up Doug on his very generous offer, and it will save you the frustration of trying to take studio quality photos. This would also be of great benefit to not only you and Doug but to the forum as a whole, especially in the helmet section. Offers like that make this forum stand out from the rest as far as a community of different collectors collecting different items, all trying to learn and ell each other. No one wants to see anyone else get skunked. I'm sure he would have offered the same on GHW.

?

Hi gel,

No no I am NOT annoyed! (See previous post)

Ron is a good guy and capable of judging a helmet. I value his opinion. But I always go with what I see and know from what is provided.

Either way, I'd love to see good photos of the helmet.

I agree, it's a terrific offer...!
    cheers, Glenn

While I cannot really add more than what has been said, I am not a fan of the helmet either. The tone and look of the paint, not to mention wear, do not give me good feelings. In the hunt for helmet, let it be US or German, we must look at it with an open point of view. It is very hard to give a helmet an honest assessment when someone is "forcing" it to be original. You have to remember, just because it is coming from a veteran's family...does not automatically make it real.

For example: About 3 years ago, I met a family that was having a yard sale...the father was a WWII airborne veteran and I met him the next day. He had 5 helmets, 2 TR and the rest were US. All were original and very nice, he also had an SS M43 cap...which turned out to be a 1960's fantasy piece. Just because it is coming from the family and in "good company" does not make it original. Each piece must be looked at individually and stories must be put to the curb to truly examine the piece. Another thing that must be remembered, TR fakes have been in circulation since shortly after the war ended.

Philip

Quote by History Man View Post
    While I cannot really add more than what has been said, I am not a fan of the helmet either. The tone and look of the paint, not to mention wear, do not give me good feelings. In the hunt for helmet, let it be US or German, we must look at it with an open point of view. It is very hard to give a helmet an honest assessment when someone is "forcing" it to be original. You have to remember, just because it is coming from a veteran's family...does not automatically make it real.

For example: About 3 years ago, I met a family that was having a yard sale...the father was a WWII airborne veteran and I met him the next day. He had 5 helmets, 2 TR and the rest were US. All were original and very nice, he also had an SS M43 cap...which turned out to be a 1960's fantasy piece. Just because it is coming from the family and in "good company" does not make it original. Each piece must be looked at individually and stories must be put to the curb to truly examine the piece. Another thing that must be remembered, TR fakes have been in circulation since shortly after the war ended.

Philip
    Hi Phillip , welcome to the forum you have expressed some very wise words that we all need to adhere to a bit more often! Leon.

Stan a medic lid like this would not have been in only a snow environment, the white is to stand out rather than blend in. Purposefully killing medics was against the Geneva convention but war isn't a tickling competition and things happened, there are enough good medic lids in collections to say that GI's did pick these up in whatever circumstances. Most wear is on the crown as that is the natural resting point for the helmet because of the centre of gravity, it's where it wants to be. Other wear from bumps and grazes is always random. The crown wear is usually more consistent and heavier, but in proportion to the rest of wear.

Just general points, not really focussing on the helmet in the thread.

PS I can't find the pics now but there are some cool shots of a Captured German combat medic working as such for the Americans. He has armbands, a vest and his helmet with the red cross on, along with his own medical kit in an MG42 ammo can.

Good story History man I would consider myself fortunate to have had such a good meeting with the vet as as time goes on they leaving us fast. Several years ago I met a 83 div vet at the VA Clinic and shared some good stories with him wish I would have followed up more on it. Something to consider is vets loved flea markets and antique malls as most of them grew up in the great depression and had a hard life I know my own dad did. They had few possesions growing up. He would often remark how nice it was to be able to "buy stuff" and he would tell me that he saw this "German thing or that" but couldn't remember what it was. I think he would have bought some of it but to him it was still "German junk" he liked the american civil war and purchased some nice items from that era maybe 30 25 years ago when it was still out there at more affordable prices than today. These heroes are leaving us and the stories too. I guess I am telling my age but I can remember as a young collector talking to WW1 vets and obtaining a few items through dad from them. timothy

?

Fake medic helmet.
    if 100 collectors tell you it is fake but one tell you it real I guess we will go with the one.
    I really do not like what I see at all. Pictures need work.

Unfortunately, it is true, as has been said above....sometimes a person wants and likes something So much and So bad that, basically, they do not Want to believe and Will Not believe that it is not what they think it is. We've seen this scenario far too many times on the forum here. "It's cool-I love it-I like the way it feels,looks and smells-Experts can be wrong,and this is one case where they are. I Know that it's real. What if? Maybe it...It Could have...He said..." They Will not be convinced otherwise. Fakes can become real in some peoples minds and there is no persuading them otherwise.The only option is to say "If you like it and believe it-then keep it and enjoy." But don't ever try to sell it to Me....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast