Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?)

Article about: IMHO the UV light is an interesting tool to see how a decal glows . For the helmet concerned , it was to check first if there is nothing wrong as a lot of fakes usualy have not the same hue

Default Re: Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?)

Well i have it and i still cannot decide one way or the other!It is an SE64,batch number 4968 and looks like it has a very even colouring to it,i think the "darker gold" areas are where the light surface rust is trying to show through.On close inspection the helmet paint is an extremly dark green and not grey so i am still going to go with toned heer myself.The decal is solid down to the paintwork so is contempory to the helmet and not a later add on. Here are a few more pictures.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?)   Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?)  

Attached Images Attached Images Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?) 
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 07-26-2012 at 06:01 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?)
    P
    Many

I still agree with you with it being a toned Heer. Can't see the consistent deep gold or the 3d effect on these new pics. Great lid though, glad you piced it up. How does the inside look?

Jason

Here,s the inside, a bit stiff to the base of a couple of the tounges and a small peice missing from one tounge(that you cant see as it's in the shaded area!)Overall a nice 1940 dated re-fit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?)  

Hello again all, my eyesight stinks!! On a good close look the batch number for this SE64 is 4896(not 896),does that tie up with any records? As i have already said it is fitted with a 1940 dated re-fit liner and yes they are rounded bales, thanks for all your interest and opinions.

I'm still sure this is a factory finish M35 in M40 spec, rather than a refit/reissue. SE are known for this. You need to get some kind of magnification on that decal to be sure, I can't decide from these pics. There is no record of that lot number in the GHW database but nearby to it there is a good brick of KM (reissue) lids. Whether they left the factory as a KM is hard to say, I suppose it is likely. A snippet of the database is below.

Can you get a super close up of the edges of the eagle and swas in a few places? I'm still leaning toward KM.

M35 4770 SE 64 SD KM – reissue alu reinforced liner decal heavily flaked 70% - dark brown leather

M35 4778 SE 64 SD KM - reissue alu reinforced liner 1940 decal at 70% (left part wing/leg missing) - name on leather - roundcornered D rings

M35 4782 SE 64 SD KM – reissue steel liner decal 50% (most important features gone) - brown leather named

M35 4805 SE 62 SD Heer - reissue alu reinforced liner 1939 decal 90% (left wing and left leg claws damaged - small spot on right wing) - brown leather with some cracks in the tongues - name on the leather

M35 4831 SE 64 SD KM – reissue steel liner Decal 55% (top half mostly gone) – brown leather

M35 4832 SE 64 SD KM – reissue steel liner Decal 95% (little damage spots most noticeable on the right wing) – outline of tricolor on the other side – brown leather – dome stamp – white paint war art on the top

M35 4832 SE 68 SD Luftwaffe - reissue alu reinforced liner 1940 decal 85% (hit on the right wing and leg and swastika) - tan leather lightly used

M35 4839 SE 64 SD Heer - reissue steel liner decal scraped off or under the paint - dark brown leather (two tongues have some minor damage)

M35 4849 SE 62 SD KM - reissue alu reinforced liner 1940 decal almost gone - round cornered strap bales - painted name

M35 4849 SE 64 SD KM - reissue steel liner decal lost some detail - lots of chunks out of body head and wings - tan leather

M35 4903 SE 68 SD Heer – reissue alu reinforced liner 1939 Decal 40% (no special features remain) – brown leather with fancy initials

M35 4921 SE 66 SD KM - reissue alu reinforced liner decal 95% (hit on the right wing) - brown leather - round cornered D rings - name + other markings in black on the shell

M35 4934 SE 66 SD KM - reissue steel liner decal 80% but faded (right leg and rigt wing wing mostly damaged) - dark brown leather with name - painted name near the lotnr

Sorry but on the photo I read 4968 as you wrote at the top of the page , can you confirm as there is a SE64 KM Nbr 4969 ? It seems on one pic that the color of the lines of the body is "greenish"so if you see a ridge around the eagle (difficult to be sure with these pics) then you certainly have a KM For sure a better close up with no glare would help
    BTW these SE IMHO are factory made

From the photos in post 21, I'd still lean towards the KM. That decal is Way too consistently colored for it to be from toning. Like you said, the darker areas are, almost certainly, from rusting beneath. The great condition of the liner also says KM to me-these helmets weren't used as heavily or as long as you would expect a Wehrmacht combat helmet would have been. It's a shame that the batch numbers are also "on the fence"! Either way, it's a super helmet, but if I were shopping for a KM and the seller brought out This one to show me, there would be no hesitation here.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I would agree with William, there is a consistant colour in the gold but i suppose the true test would be to examine the decal under microscopic conditions to see if there are flecks within the composition

I have had another go at some close ups, i can,t take any natural light shots at the moment as it is now dark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?)   Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?)  

Attached Images Attached Images Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?)  Good original heer decal?(kreigsmarine?) 

hi mate, get yourself a hand magnifier i bought one online it has a light and goes up to X100 you will see then if its kriegsmarine, compare with a magnified heer decal the differences are quite obvious then whichever way it gos its a cool lid

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast