Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.

Article about: Hmm... I guess it is a con-test between Bob Colemen, and canadatim, on to who is correct.

Default Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.

Hi. I want to first off state that I am an avid WW2 collector for my age, 16. I love the history and I want to preserve it. I have been looking at german helmets for about 4 years on and off. I made it my mission this summer to find a real german helmet from WW2. I think I found one but there are some things that strike odd on this particular piece. It is a M42 helmet I believe but it has an aluminum liner, which I think is odd for a M42. Also I am not sure at all about the decal. It looks legit, however I am ever watching for a false decal with any helmet I look at. The other problem (im not sure as much about this) the chinstrap looks a little strange along with the clasp. This is an online auction, so time is important. Thanks, this website looks like a great asset for a young collector such as myself. THANKS
    Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.

The helmet & decal look ok to me. The liner looks like it MAY have been replaced but I'm not sure, I would have to see it in person. Wait for more replies before you make a decision

The condition of the liner definitely does not look to match the condition of the shell. I would say the odds are pretty good that it has, indeed, been replaced. This would explain why the chinstrap rig does not "fit" well. The corrosion on the rivits does not match the shell's either, which only adds to the obvious-that the liner has been changed. As for the shell itself and the decal, they both look legitimate(to My eye,anyway). Apparently,some one had a solid shell with good remains of a decal but it had a rotted out liner, so they found another one and "married" them. Personally, I would pass on it and wait for a decent set to come up. They're not all That rare and come up more frequently than not, so it would be to your advantage to sit back and wait til a nice solid piece comes along. A "married" helmet will never appreciate in value all that much, whereas a genuine one will almost certainly gain value over time. Good luck! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Welcome to the Forum and collecting. You have taken a good direction posting an item you are unsure about. I must agree with my colleagues that the shell and decal look fine. However, from the picture, the liner definitely looks replaced.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I would avoid auction sites and take your business to a dealer. They have the best stuff most of the times. Or even better buy from a collector.
    Collectors offer helmets up all the time. I think I sold about 6 really nice ones this year already.
    Don't put your money in lower grade items like this.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with everyone else. The shell and decal are good but the liner and chinstraps are replacements. I wouldn't bid more than $100 for it.

You are better off looking around craigslist and checking out some dealers. No-decal M42's and single decal Luftwaffe and Heer helmets are going to be the cheaper options for combat helmets. You can also find beaded helmets and non-combat models for good prices.

I agree with the others, don't waist your money on something so rough. Trust me, I know how hard it can be to be patient when your looking for your first original helmet. For example: When I was about 16 I didn't think I would ever have an original German helmet (because of high price), but one day I went into a gun shop and walked out with an SA dagger for $100. Anyway, to make a long story short, I ended up trading the Dagger for this M40 Luft... What I'm saying is be patient! You will get one. Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.
    And I'm warning you, you won't be able to have just one....
    Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.

?

I have to agree with everything thats been said so far,but i would add that this helmet is what i call semi relic in that there is substantial pitting and rusting, therefore it appears that the liner has been replaced because of the initial condition of the helmet

Quote by davejb View Post
    I have to agree with everything thats been said so far,but i would add that this helmet is what i call semi relic in that there is substantial pitting and rusting, therefore it appears that the liner has been replaced because of the initial condition of the helmet
    I would actually go as far as to say that this one is a full relic.

Thanks for the responses. I have had a german itch for collecting for a while, ever since my grandfather gave me a german battle flag that a friend of his brought home, and my other grandfather that gave me about 25 medals and other assorted pieces. The rest of the stuff is all pieces I have bought.

Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.Got a question for the experts...Time sensitive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast