Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grave marker heer

Article about: I run an add on CL offering to buy military items. A guy wants to sell me this Grave marker Helmet for \\$300. It has NO LINER. I really do not know what these helmets go for. I could not find

This helmet with a hole in the top could be from anywhere. Not necessarily from a Grave. It could have been nailed to a post for a display, or as said before, from a table lamp, maybe from being part of a wall display in a tavern to prevent theft. It could be anything. Unless a person has airtight provenance, they would be foolhardy to pay a large sum on the premise that it was a Grave marker. And who would want a marker from a man's grave in the first place? That's just wrong, to desecrate a grave site...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grave marker heer
    P
    Many

First off, if it was a grave marker, I obviously didnt take it from the grave.
    And its too late to put it back.
    Second, I know there is no way to know for sure whether it was a grave marker or a lamp shade.
    I get it.
    All I want to know is whether it is worth $300?

?

If you like it friend then buy it.
    I don't like helmets with holes in them, especially from graves, but I bought most of mine in the 60s through the 80s.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    First off, if it was a grave marker, I obviously didnt take it from the grave.
    And its too late to put it back.
    Second, I know there is no way to know for sure whether it was a grave marker or a lamp shade.
    I get it.
    All I want to know is whether it is worth $300?
    lol Relax, Anton....unless you're in your 80's or 90's, it's fairly safe to say that it's not likely You took it off of a gravesite! This helmet obviously would have to have been removed fairly quickly after it was atop the grave, as it's condition pretty much says so. Any helmet left out in the rain,sun and cold 24/7 rapidly turns to rusted out crud dramatically fast. Having said that, I still do not believe that it is one, but it's fairly irrelevant what my personal opinion on it is in any case! The condition just does not verify this, is all. As for value and price? I suppose that it depends on what you intend to do with it. If it's destined to simply sit on a shelf for a display, then you might be good with $300,but I wouldn't see it increasing in value over time due to the damage. (If you Do get it, I would much suggest that you don't Tell alot of people looking at it that "Nice, hey? It came off of some German dude's Grave!" People can get abit funny about stuff like that...lol)
    Last edited by Wagriff; 07-19-2015 at 11:45 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Call it a possible gravemarker helmet... that's how I call mine especially because of how the leather has deteriorated.
    What happened to all those German soldier's graves in Western Europe after the Allies re-conquered the territory ? Must have been thousands of helmets on those graves.
    The inhabitants would have took some and a good deal would have been shipped to the US.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2