MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Ground Dug Helmets?

Article about: Hey guys I am new to the Site and I recently began collecting wwii relics. I purchased a luftshults helmet. That was ground dug and completely rusted. I was wondering what the best way of pr

Default Ground Dug Helmets?

Hey guys I am new to the Site and I recently began collecting wwii relics. I purchased a luftshults helmet. That was ground dug and completely rusted. I was wondering what the best way of preserving the helmet would be. I don't want to paint it or anything I just want to find a way to protect the helmet from the rust.
    Any thoughts?
    Thank you

Ground Dug Helmets?
    Ground Dug Helmets?
    Last edited by tbradley83; 07-23-2019 at 04:28 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ground Dug Helmets?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome.

There are lots of different methods. RenWax, Oxalic Acid bath, etc.

But I think we would need to see a photo of the helmet first to give advice. Many times, even if it is a relic, leaving it alone is the best bet.

Do a quick search (upper right of every page) using the key words Helmet Preservation and you will find lots of threads
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Welcome to the forum Bradley.
    Good on you joining the Gold members club!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

That a pretty far gone relic. I think an oxalic bath would do more harm than good as the rust on the edges is holding a lot together. Removing it may make it too thin.

I would recommend a coat of RenWax to stabilize it as much as possible

Read those thread and wait for more opinions.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

As said its quite far gone and to be honest your money would be better spent finding one that is not rusted, I doubt there is any liner inside it and a solid one of these is not that hard to find.

I agree with Blackcat - save your money for something better. Unless you really enjoy the relic aspect of a collectible, I would look for intact examples. Consider the re-sale possibility as well. Very few people are going to want such a relic. You would be doing yourself a favor by pursuing better examples. I don't wish to discourage you - just offering my advice. Neil

Thank you guys for the advice I just started collecting wwii items. I bought this helmet for 35 dollars to just start my collection.
    Thanks again

?

If it is not cleaned up and just covered with wax it ll keep deteriorating until it is dust. A quick bath in oxalic,or a go in the electrolysis bath will remove the rust, then cover it with ren wax or similar
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/