Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A hand with an M40 Helmet.

Article about: Good evening, I wanted to bring to your attention this German M40 that I have had in my collection for a long time. Although very experienced, I believe I can claim to be coeval in all attri

Default A hand with an M40 Helmet.

Good evening, I wanted to bring to your attention this German M40 that I have had in my collection for a long time. Although very experienced, I believe I can claim to be coeval in all attributes with the war period. What about the exterior paint? Is it the classic apple green Heer? As for the interior, is it original? Have you ever seen the manufacturer's print imprinted on the interior? Which company are you referring to? With the brand imprinted on the shell flap, is it possible to trace the production period?
    Thank you very much indeed!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A hand with an M40 Helmet.
    P
    Many

Hi- Are you sure it's an M40? From the photo it looks as if it could be a 35...............but it is difficult to determine - I think only in hand or a good look inside where the air vent is would confirm. I believe that the liner band is original to the shell - that's something you cannot replicate - as for the stamp on the liner - I've never seen a period example showing that, but there are oddities in everything. I have an M35 with the maker mark for the strap on the long end, near the bale - so anything is possible

As for the colour - if it's an M40 then it is unlikely to been an Apple Green finish - an M35 yes, but as far as I'm aware all 40's came with a dull finish or at least a darker shade of paint. Interesting helmet - any idea where it originated from?
    Regards
    Bob
    ------------------------
    Ut Diu Ut Permanere
    Last edited by oberhaig; 01-21-2020 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Hello thank you very much for the
    reply. Unfortunately the helmet was purchased by me from the collection circuit and therefore I don't know where it came from. the green came out following a restoration work done by me.
    It is enough to know in every way that the whole is original, especially that for the interior it is not a subsequent replacement, or worse, a replica. I had never seen him so marked, that's why I was in doubt.
    How can I check if it is an M35?

Quote by Worldwar2 View Post
    How can I check if it is an M35?
    An M35 has added pieces creating the vent, an M40 has the vents stamped/integral with the helmet.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Here is a detail of a ventilation hole seen from the inside.

MAP
    ?

Looks like an M35 based on the last photo.

Helmet has been period re-issued. It has no decal and exterior feldgrau paint. Also the liner has been replaced from an early aluminum to a steel example with what appears to be pigskin

What happened to this helmet I have no idea. But definitely poorly stored or exposed to the elements for decades.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I don’t feel that the liner matches the condition of the shell which is in a much poorer condition. Compare the condition of the leather in the closeup of the liner and chinstrap bales and liner band. They are not commensurate. The paint on the interior looks like a dark feldgrau but hard to tell with the exterior due to exposure to the elements although it may be some type of overpaint.

I think it’s a relic shell and band with replaced liner.

Andy

I agree with Andy, i have definitly seen relic shells in that condition, but the liner does not match the helmets condition.
    I´m not sure if the liner leather is original at all, might be a complete repro.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    I don’t feel that the liner matches the condition of the shell which is in a much poorer condition. Compare the condition of the leather in the closeup of the liner and chinstrap bales and liner band. They are not commensurate. The paint on the interior looks like a dark feldgrau but hard to tell with the exterior due to exposure to the elements although it may be some type of overpaint.

I think it’s a relic shell and band with replaced liner.

Andy
    I am inclined to agree. "Never say never" is one thing but for the liner band to have corroded to the degree that it has crumbled and the liner rivet has been lost suggests to me that this area has been very wet (if not submerged in liquid) for a very long time. Therefore, for the adjoining section of leather not to have deteriorated to the same degree seems totally implausible even if the rest of it survived in this condition. That too seems very unlikely given that moisture would have permeated even the portion not directly in contact with liquid. For me the leather has been added careless of the above factors.

This has little to do with knowledge of militaria. Rather it is to do with the mechanics of moisture and corrosion.

Regards

Mark

PS I can't read that stamp on the leather but I don't believe it has anything to do with any TR manufacturer.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-21-2020 at 09:27 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I wanted to thank you all for coming. Basically you didn't give me very positive news but that was exactly what I suspected, that's why I asked for your help. Indeed there are all the credentials to say that it is a replacement. I believe, however, that for the liner it is original, albeit reassembled. Even the external color I believe is all in all his. It was much more ruined, and for example all the internal greenery came out after an oxalic treatment!
    Thanks a lot to everyone.